[Artemisia] Boccee - was Period Toys & Games Question

rayzentz at aim.com rayzentz at aim.com
Fri Sep 8 12:31:36 CDT 2006

 In my humble opinion, "cheating" is all relative.   Had medieval makers of turned items had access to a power lathe, they would have abandoned their less advanced tools in a heartbeat.   Had Mozart had access to modern synthesizers....

Be expedient, get what is necessary, and work on the other stuff at your leisure.   I would want my kids to have the toys now, not waiting while I stumble through many inadequate incarnations of period toys that I am learning on.

We also forget, sometimes, that many medieval craftsman had tools and equipment, as well as knowhow, that had been developed over generations.I know that I, personally, do not have that luxury, so I am accurate where I can be, or where time permits, and I "cheat" when necessary to accomplish my purposes.

I also occasionally take <gasp> aspirin...

Padruig (who likes the idea of recreating the "best" of the medieval period, but not necessarily all of it) McTavish
Arrows' Flight

I could always break down and use my powered lathe but
that would be cheating.

Michael