[Artemisia] Period Toys & Games Question

L.J. Richards xrichards at montana.com
Mon Sep 11 18:36:13 CDT 2006

Children of earlier times played with toys that would teach them their role
in life as adults.  But 'play' usually became 'work' somewhere around the
age of 5+ (depending on your family's needs). If you lived in a wealthier
household, you would be given tasks (i.e., chores) to do to suit your
station.  The less wealthier you were the sooner you began working.  But
(almost) everyone played games (including such round dances as 'drop the
kerchief') and musical instruments or told stories.

In doing research for a games paper long ago, I remember that hopscotch is
probably the oldest 'recorded' game (China) and was played all over Asia and
Europe, etc.  The other item I remember was that when adults stepped in and
turned the game into a competition with their (adult's) rules, children no
longer played the game among themselves.  A lot of games have been 'lost'
for this (and other reasons).

Children (not adults) taught the next generation how to play these games
for, oh, at least the last 20,000 years!   It's where they learned to 'play
fair', made up their own rules as needed; and if you were a bully, everybody
just went elsewhere to play and you were left to your own devises....
Usually didn't take too long for the bully to come round.

One of the neat things about some of our major camping events is that kids
actually get to 'play' and use their imagination to 'invent' games, set down
the rules, and take off for wherever.  Kool!

HE Bronwen