[Artemisia] BARD Competitions in general, and Bards

Valerie Scarbrough vscarbrough at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 11 21:38:49 CDT 2007

Greetings,

On the origin of the word bard and concept and possible duties thereof,
let's see if this is anything close to the truth:

I believe the word bard came from the Old Celtic word bardos which means: to lift or raise the voice or to praise or from the Welsh bardd which means: a visionary poet or seer.  Whatever the origin, the word has meant many things over the years.

1. Very early on in Celtic society cultures didn't have a written language and their bards used rhyme and meter as tools to compose histories that were easy to remember and pass down to the next generation of bards.

2. Later the word referred to wandering entertainers and not always in a good light.

3. It has also referred to someone who was basically a professional writer/performer commissioned to create songs, poetry, etc. that praised the employer - their good advertising.
In this case, if the bard didn't feel they had been properly compensated they would then compose and perform another piece which ranged from ridiculing the person to being downright slanderous, usually in the form of a satire.

4. In Ireland, the word was used for a person who memorized and performed the works of others instead of their own.

So I guess in summation, the duties of a bard would be:

To compose histories of their culture that are easily memorized and passed down.
To create works that make famous those who pay them well and satirize those who don't
To write their own performable songs and poems or at least to memorize and perform (hopefully well) the works of others.

---So, I would like to know, what comprises a good commission?---

HL Bethany of Windermere, Bard of Gryphon's Lair