[Artemisia] RE: Background checks

Ellisif in Sleggja elsbet1 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 16 15:26:32 CDT 2007

"So try and remember that this isn't going to 'fix' anything."

Perhaps, but the policy is also about due diligence here; we as a Society should at least make the attempt, given the mundane tools available to us (such as a criminal background check) to do what we can to keep sex offenders from getting near our children.  I agree with you that parental involvement/supervision is mandatory and expected, but not always practiced.  This turns the SCA into a prime hunting ground for child predators.

I would like to know, as a parent, that at least the Youth Officers or those who are running activities for the youth have passed at least a minimum criminal check specifically focused on crimes against children; it's no less than we expect from our teachers, scout leaders, etc.

I share the concerns that this information has the potential to be used in ways that violate the rights of those involved, so I would also like to know what convictions would constitute a "fail" rating.  Beyond that, the Seneschals and Youth Officers involved should be trusted to keep any information they get regarding any specific background check with the strictest confidence, with the exception of notifying their respective Kingdom officers of any 'fail' conditions.

I think we have an obligation to our children to perform this barest minimum of safety checking, and keeping at least those with a public history of abusing children away from them.  Once this policy is put in place, it will discourage those with records such as this from even applying for positions of such trust, and personally, I'm ok with that.

--Lady Ellisif Sleggja