[Artemisia] Re: Background Checks

Dame Theodora damethea at inbox.com
Tue Apr 17 08:39:21 CDT 2007

We are not talking about eliminating categories of people from participating in the SCA.  We are talking about exercising due diligence to show that we are doing what we can to make sure that child predators are not put in a position to supervise children.  As of this time, those are the only people expected to be part of a background check.

If we do not do this, and someone decides to sue because their child was harmed by someone with a criminal record who was in charge of children's activities, they will have a good chance to win.  A large cost lawsuit could jeopardize the Society as a whole.

As a Seneschal, I am relieved that there will be a background check process.  It is an objective means to evaluate a very delicate situation.  The same criteria will be applied to everyone.

I am aware that this does not address situations where someone hasn't been caught or prosecuted, but it is a step in the right direction, in my opinion.  I am also not looking for a witch hunt.  I know several people who are registered sex offenders.  But they are not seeking positions of authority with the children of the SCA.

~Theodora
Seneschal, Loch Salann