[Artemisia] Re: Background Checks

Michael the Loud hanhebin at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 17 10:13:25 CDT 2007

> We are not talking about eliminating categories of
> people from participating in the SCA.  We are
> talking about exercising due diligence to show that
> we are doing what we can to make sure that child
> predators are not put in a position to supervise
> children.  As of this time, those are the only
> people expected to be part of a background check.

The Sex Offender Registry only goes back about 10
years so people who have offender prior won't appear.
Chorus isn't complete prior to about 1990 so there is
another hole.  We aren't event talking about if
somebody gets their record espounged.

> If we do not do this, and someone decides to sue
> because their child was harmed by someone with a
> criminal record who was in charge of children's
> activities, they will have a good chance to win.  A
> large cost lawsuit could jeopardize the Society as a
> whole.

Even with all the "Due Diligence" done you could still
lose a suit and be awarded big damages.  There are
several cases you can look up and the biggest case I
know of is $10 million (Oregon case and LDS Church.)

Would this destroy the SCA?  Absolutely not.  Think
about it for a second as you would have people lined
up to form a new group almost immediately.  You would
see a surge of positive energy and support like nobody
has ever seen before.

> I am aware that this does not address situations
> where someone hasn't been caught or prosecuted, but
> it is a step in the right direction, in my opinion.
> I am also not looking for a witch hunt.  I know
> several people who are registered sex offenders.
> But they are not seeking positions of authority with
> the children of the SCA.

Most offenders are required to avoid children so I
don't know if they could participate.  There was a
recent article on Florida offenders living under an
overpass because of a law stating 2500' feet from
where children gather.  With 2 small boys and #3 due
later this year, if there was offender lingering too
close that's what they make cell phones for.

Michael