[Artemisia] Re: Background Checks

morgan wolf morganblaidddu at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 17 12:13:00 CDT 2007

I must clarify, then disagree.  Someone guilty of Statutory Rape, which changes from state to state and, as Earc put it, can be something as simple as a year or two age difference, is one thing.  Date Rape is something else, and may be classified as a "one mistake, which that person is trying to recover their life from".  Plain old Rape is another issue entirely, but the big one, the one that i specifically referred to in my posts, is Child Molestation.  Multiple pieces of research have shown that Child Molesters don't "get better", they just control themselves more.  I was asked not to report the person who molested me, even to forgive him, and he went on to molest another child.  If he wasn't under constant supervision now, he would do it again, I have no doubts.

So, for those other level 1 sex offenders, like the guy caught peeping in the girl's bedroom window, I am not passing judgment.  For those Child Molesters on this list, if there are any, I say they most certainly do NOT fit into the SCA.  There is nothing Chivalrous, Honorable, or even decent about a person who does that to a child, and that person will NEVER stop wanting to do that to children, period.  Again, like rabies in dogs, there's only one cure.

If you disagree with me, fine, that is your perogative.  If you expect me to say that a known Child Molester should be allowed to be part of the SCA just like anyone else, I can give you 40 examples of why that's wrong, just from the Shire of Arrow's Flight.  There is absolutely nothing that can be said to convince me that a Child Molester is safe to have around my Pages, my friends' children, any children at all.  I will be the first to petition for absolute banishment for any known Molester, and any violent (level 2 or higher) Sex Offender.

Am I emotional about this topic? Abso-damn-lutely.  Do I think it should be discussed "un-emotionally"?  Hell no, everyone should have strong feelings about these issues.

Morgan