[Artemisia] Re: Background Checks

Andrea Waddell aravis227 at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 17 15:45:46 CDT 2007

Thank you!  I completely agree with your response and have been struggling
to put my own feelings on this topic into words.  Your missive has helped to
me to figure out exactly why it is that I have been feeling this way about
it.  There are bound to be problems with this policy, as there are going to
be with any policy.  I wrote a (rather long) email with my commentary,
concerns, and questions to the address that Mistress Thea posted earlier
today for that purpose.  I would be more than willing to send it to anyone
who is curious, especially if/when I receive a response.  I am not a parent,
but I am a big sister, an "Aunt" to a lot of kids and I live with two for
whom I take a parental role.  I am completely in support of the background
checks because Lord Kuro is absolutely correct.  Do we really want to allow
someone who refuses to undergo a simple background check to spend time with
the children in our kingdom?  When it comes to MY safety, I am absolutely of
the opinion that people should be allowed their privacy.  But that is
because I am an adult.  I can look at the person next to me and make a
judgement of them based on my knowledge of them and my previous experiences.
  And, if necessary, I can (and have had to) defend myself.  But when it
comes to caring for children (or people who can not defend themselves, I
have worked with disabled adults in the past) I fully support the idea of
"you shouldn't have a problem with it if you don't have something to hide."
Because a child can't defend themselves.  And a very young child usually
doesn't even where that line between appropriate and inappropriate is.  That
is one of the reasons that so many cases of molestation are not reported
until the child is older.  And even as they get older, they can not, or will
not, defend themselves against an adult who is in a position of authority.
We train them that way.  "Listen to your teacher and do what they say."  We
HAVE to tell them that to ensure that they behave, to make sure they respect
authority, but that is why it is the schools' job to do their best to make
sure that people who have a history of hurting children aren't there.
People get through, all systems have flaws.  However, there are tools we can
use to lower the odds.  It is our job as adults to protect kids as much as
possible from people who would harm them, and since we can't be there every
minute of every day it is the responsibility of those who are going to be
taking care of them to prove to us that they are trustworthy.  I completely
agree with the sentiment in Kuro's email that the offender could have
thought ahead.  Even if they are someone who has truly tried to change their
life and who has not had an offenses since they were punished.  This person
still made the choice at one time to hurt another person.  And it was that,
it was a CHOICE.  And if that person has truly come to terms with what they
did and they have/are recovering, they will understand why it is that they
can not be in a position of authority over children.  Why would they WANT to
put themselves in a position where they would be tempted to offend again?
Because I also agree with Morgan, when someone has truly molested or raped
another person, they may not actually do it again, but that thought will
always be there.  I undergo a background check once a year for one of my
employers.  I have absolutely no problem with this because I understand that
there are people out there who HAVE done wrong and who would not hesitate to
do it again.  People who will actively look for opportunities to do it
again.  It has been said before in this conversation and I will reiterate
it.  It is a very sad state of affairs that this is what the world has come
to.  But it HAS come to this.  We would all like to believe that the SCA is
a safe haven.  Somewhere that everyone has honor.  But look at how many
missives you've seen over the last year where someone's entire kit, their
pavilion, their garb, various important SCA items were stolen at an event,
or by someone who seemed to know what they were looking for in their
house/garage/trailer.  How many times have you heard about an adult being
assaulted, or someone attempts to assault them?  I have heard more of these
stories than I care to remember, and ONE was too many.  Crimes are being
committed within the SCA and, like it or not, we need to take steps to
protect ourselves and our children.
-Maysun