[Artemisia] This week's edition of "Security Theater"

El Hermoso Dormiendo ElHermosoDormido at dogphilosophy.net
Tue Apr 17 21:40:20 CDT 2007

This "background checks" thing disgusts me, though probably not for the reason
you might guess.

It doubly fails to affect me directly, since I have no interest nor intention
of ever being in charge of youth activities in the SCA, and even if I did, I
would be even more shocked than anyone else if I failed a background check
for the purpose.  And, is there really anyone at all who WANTS child abusers
(or adult abusers, for that matter) in the SCA at all?  The apparent
intention of the policy is to Protect the Children, which is obviously a good
thing, right?

The problem is, this appears, so far, to be nothing more than a typical
corporate-style attempt to avoid legal blame without actually doing anything
about the problem.  And here's why:

As stated, it sounds as though this is meant to relate to formally
sanctioned "Youth Activities" coordinators and the like and wouldn't affect
anyone else.  However, as stated in an earlier post (one of several in the
same general theme):

"From what I understand of this it only involves those who will or could
potentially be in close contact with our minor children."

Therein lies the problem.  The SCA is not a day-care center with well-defined
children's areas - instead, we seem to tend towards "free-range children" in
the society.  (And why not?  The SCA has historically seemed to be made up of
a substantially better average class of people than a typical population.  If
you can't be safe in the SCA, where CAN you be safe?)  Given this fact -
nearly EVERYONE who shows up at an event may fall into the category
of "potentially in close contact with our minor children", especially at
larger events.  Background checks on the handful of individuals publically
expressing interest in running formally-sanctioned youth activities seems
ridiculously unlikely to catch the people we really ought to be worried
about.  ACTUALLY protecting children will require going much further.  Do we
implement a policy of background checks for all members (and allow only
people who have undergone background checks to participate?)  Do we limit SCA
activities to adults only?  Do we require children to remain in designated
areas under close supervision of formally designated youth monitors when not
under direct and immediate supervision of their legal guardians?  (Perhaps we
could outsource this to a 3rd-party certified day-care organization much as
the chirugeonate-type activities appear to have been outsourced at Pennsic?)
Not that they'd have to be absolute - we could always alternate
between "adults-only" events (not requiring background checks) and "children"
events (where everyone would require background checks), for example.

These aren't sarcastic suggestions - I really think it'll take going to this
kind of extreme to actually reach any effective level of action against the
problem.

This policy isn't about protecting children.  This is purely about Corporate
avoidance of blame.  Even THIS much doesn't really bother me in and of
itself - "limitation of liability" is a valid concept in running a corporate
entity.

What really, really bugs me is that this "CYA" attitude is so utterly alien to
the fundamental culture of chivalry, service, and responsibility that was
central to the SCA that I joined.  If someone is having a problem, members of
the populace spontaneously step forward to help solve it, not to just try to
find a way to avoid blame for it.  Corporate "necessity" or not, an empty
responsibility-avoidance scheme that doesn't actually address the problem
effectively just doesn't seem right.

The *membership* of the SCA is still largely about the chivalrous tournament,
the romance of courtly behavior, and the educational historical research, but
the *organization* is turning into some sort of Byzantine corporate
Dilbertian thing that just plain doesn't seem to belong.  I don't think this
dichotomy is stable.  As the "Society of Corporate Asininity, Inc." slowly
dilutes the Society for Creative Anachronism out of existence, it reminds me
more and more of the sort of corporate environment many of us spend our days
working in.

If I wanted a corporate parody of "The Dream", I'd go to Disneyland(tm) or
McDonalds(tm) instead.

signed,
El Hermoso Dormiendo - getting increasingly less tolerant of these kinds of
shenanigans as he ages...