[Artemisia] This week's edition of "Security Theater"

Andrea Waddell aravis227 at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 18 10:31:20 CDT 2007

huh....*re-reads the original announcement* I can definitely see that.
However, it does do what it's designed to do.  It protects the SCA from
liability, which is equally important because none of us want to see the SCA
disbanded over a legality.  And, in this sue-happy day and age, that is a
possibility.  I work for the SLC Fox affiliate...we air court TV all day and
people sue over the most ridiculous things (don't believe me?  Watch one
hour of daytime TV on your local Fox station...it's ridiculous).

This conversation DOES raise a very important topic though.  We can't count
on anyone else to protect the kids in our Kingdom.  And, as the numbers
posted in the email prove, and all of the missives I referred to in my
previous email about things being stolen and people being attacked at
various events, these things are happening.  They've happened in our very
own Barony, when the Loch Salann regalia was stolen out of TE Ulrich and
Rachel's garage after an event.  So what do we do as individuals and as a
group to keep our neighbors safe?  As I said before, we all want to see the
SCA as a safe haven.  Where we can leave our stuff out and allow "free range
kids" (I love that term!).  Whenever I am responsible for children at an
event (siblings, friend's kids that I've brought along, etc.) I don't let
them out of my site unless they're with someone I trust, and even then I
make sure to get visual contact every 30 minutes to an hour.  I was raised
by a somewhat protective mom who knew where I was all of the time.  It kept
me safe when I was one of those precocious 12-year-olds surrounded by adults
on internet chatrooms.  I keep the same eye on my friends' kids.  The kids
don't necessarily know I'm watching, but I am (usually my friends don't even
know I'm watching), it's simply for my own piece of mind.  I have also had
small things disappear at events.  The biggest of which was a wallet that
disappeared off a table in front of my tent (it was one of my last events
before Uprising and had a good bit of cash in it that was to be used to pay
for various Uprising things...I almost had to skip it that year).  So, how
do we, as a group, make sure that predators are not in our midst?  In
theory, the background checks are a good thing, how do we provide that same
security in a practical way?  How do we maintain that safe haven that we all
want to believe we have in the SCA?

I honestly don't have answers to the questions I've just raised, that's why
I'm putting them out to the Kingdom.  My previous email regarding the safety
of the children in our Youth Program still stands.  I still believe all of
those things about the necessity of us, as adults, keeping the kids of our
Kingdom safe.  So I'm looking for thoughts on how we do that.

-Maysun