[Artemisia] Re: Other positive steps

Dame Theodora damethea at inbox.com
Thu Apr 19 09:51:52 CDT 2007

I have seen some very successful examples where household camps that have a lot of kids are able to combine efforts and resources to make their lives easier. Even to the extent of taking turns watching the kids at night so the other parents can go out.  It seems to work well for them.

The other thing that I have seen that worked really well was kids tabards.  These could have heraldry from a household or local group on them, and this works great as long as people recognize the heraldry.  The Brotherhood of the Black Unicorn has done that for years, and it is great!! (The guys jokingly refer to it as the "if found, please return this kid to the Brotherhood camp) The tabards are more visible than a belt favor, which means a "stranger" doesn't have to get too close to a child to be able to see their "ID".  Making the kids ID something that you have to get close to see still seems to set off some kids "stranger danger" radar.

I always appreciate knowing that kids are being watched and cared for at events.  I am not a parent, but I care very much about the youth in our Kingdom.  One of the greatest things we (collectively) can do is know who the kids are and who their parents and caregivers are, so we know if there is an adult around them that is a stranger to them, or potentially someone who is not supposed to be there.

~thea

Theodora of Trebizond, OP
Loch Salann, Artemisia
"Efficio Novae Res"