[Artemisia] Henna IDs?

Xplex at aol.com Xplex at aol.com
Fri Apr 20 11:42:04 CDT 2007

In further discussion on the Arrows' Flight forum, I most recently  suggested
sashes (among other things less practical :-) ).

After sleeping on it, here are my current thoughts:

(1) Sashes would be smaller and less complicated to make than  tabards, but
(2) They'd still allow for a larger, easily identifiable swath of  Shire
color (maybe with a couple of color choices) than favors, wristbands, etc.
(3) If they're *not* sewn into a circle (as regular scout sashes are),  they
could perhaps be worn in a few different ways, to coexist  better with
individual garb choices -- as a belt sash, or crossing over  from shoulder to waist,
like a scout sash does, or, for older kids, just  draped over the shoulder,
like a dupatta -- see link below -- and even younger  kids might be able to do
something similar if the faux  dupatta attached to the garb somehow. This could
add to their fashion  appeal, for the kids who focus on that aspect.
(4) If they're designed in an interesting way, the kids might actually find
them fun, along similar lines to the sort of "team spirit" face painting we
did  last fall at Crown Tourney at the Castle.
(5) They'd be less hot in summer than a tabard, when we hit 104 degrees, or
whatever the heck it was last summer at Barons' War in Springville! :-P

Dupatta:
_http://www.pardesifashions.com/SalwarKameez/DupattaTutorial1.aspx_
(http://www.pardesifashions.com/SalwarKameez/DupattaTutorial1.aspx)

Here's what I originally posted on Arrows' Flight, for context:
=====
Would some form of sash (like the over-the-shoulder kind) work, if there
were a few colors to choose from?

Though Madelin already regularly  ditches her over-the-shoulder water-bottle
bag thingy... "Here, Mom!"  (...running off while item is still in mid-air
transport, in Mom's general  direction...)

[...back to pondering, again...] ;-)

Though,  actually, if they were nifty-looking enough... they might have a
chance -- the  kids actually participating in the flag thing at the closing
ceremony at one of  the Girl Scouts day camps got to temporarily wear some kind of
special sash  around either their waist or shoulder-to-waist, and even the
little kids  (including Madelin) thought it was Really Cool...

Hmmm....
=====

So, I'm curious: Has anyone tried sashes already, elsewhere, or have any
further insights/thoughts on them?

[And a totally unrelated question: How do you get your name to show up
associated with your post, instead of just your email address. Does that  happen
via the "name" setting on the mailing list, or in one's email  software?]

CJ