[Artemisia] Henna IDs?

Terri Elliott terrilelliott at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 20 09:53:43 CDT 2007

The sashes may look cool but I agree that they would be problematic. The way my kids play, they would likely get torn off (Jorden has literally had his tunic torn so bad that it was hanging by the shoulder seams and gores only). I think, after reading all the pros and cons of the different ideas put forth, that belt favors would most likely work best. My opinion FWIW.

  Asa

Angela Zentz <allegretza at yahoo.com> wrote:
  The only problem I would see with this idea is the ease that it could come off and set down. We would have people returning our beautiful sashes without the child in them.
I think the older kids would have better sucess with the sashes. That may also appeal to the sense of style that our pre teens have...
Allegretza

Xplex at aol.com wrote:
In further discussion on the Arrows' Flight forum, I most recently suggested
sashes (among other things less practical :-) ).

After sleeping on it, here are my current thoughts:

(1) Sashes would be smaller and less complicated to make than tabards, but
(2) They'd still allow for a larger, easily identifiable swath of Shire
color (maybe with a couple of color choices) than favors, wristbands, etc.
(3) If they're *not* sewn into a circle (as regular scout sashes are), they
could perhaps be worn in a few different ways, to coexist better with
individual garb choices -- as a belt sash, or crossing over from shoulder to waist,
like a scout sash does, or, for older kids, just draped over the shoulder,
like a dupatta -- see link below -- and even younger kids might be able to do
something similar if the faux dupatta attached to the garb somehow. This could
add to their fashion appeal, for the kids who focus on that aspect.
(4) If they're designed in an interesting way, the kids might actually find
them fun, along similar lines to the sort of "team spirit" face painting we
did last fall at Crown Tourney at the Castle.
(5) They'd be less hot in summer than a tabard, when we hit 104 degrees, or
whatever the heck it was last summer at Barons' War in Springville! :-P

Dupatta:
_http://www.pardesifashions.com/SalwarKameez/DupattaTutorial1.aspx_
(http://www.pardesifashions.com/SalwarKameez/DupattaTutorial1.aspx)

Here's what I originally posted on Arrows' Flight, for context:
=====
Would some form of sash (like the over-the-shoulder kind) work, if there
were a few colors to choose from?

Though Madelin already regularly ditches her over-the-shoulder water-bottle
bag thingy... "Here, Mom!" (...running off while item is still in mid-air
transport, in Mom's general direction...)

[...back to pondering, again...] ;-)

Though, actually, if they were nifty-looking enough... they might have a
chance -- the kids actually participating in the flag thing at the closing
ceremony at one of the Girl Scouts day camps got to temporarily wear some kind of
special sash around either their waist or shoulder-to-waist, and even the
little kids (including Madelin) thought it was Really Cool...

Hmmm....
=====

So, I'm curious: Has anyone tried sashes already, elsewhere, or have any
further insights/thoughts on them?

[And a totally unrelated question: How do you get your name to show up
associated with your post, instead of just your email address. Does that happen
via the "name" setting on the mailing list, or in one's email software?]

CJ