[Artemisia] Tent Opinions

tangl tangl at myway.com
Mon Apr 30 14:29:25 CDT 2007

 Ah, but experience has taught me that the EZ-ups are not even worth a season. ANY windstorm will crumple them like twigs. Conrad's right. My first pavillion was made from backpack material and electrical conduit. It lasted for 6 years. I would probably still be using it if it weren't for the fact that it burnt down at Estrella War a few years back. I currently use a canvas 9X12 I found at a yard sale for $50. It is good because, unlike modern tents, it is canvas, not plastic. The support poles are are three ridge poles: Center and at the sides. You could easily create the same design for very little and with the collapsible aluminum tent poles you buy as replacements for modern tents. Buy fabric for making a 6-sided dice with a peak on it. I can fit my small campsite into any vehicle with four seats. Now, this is work and it does require a knowledge of sewing. If you don't have the time or the skills, tagging someone who does is not a bad move. You can often get the heavy
duty canvas at Wal-Mart (while they still have a fabric dept.) so the cost doesn't need to break you, but you will need the ability to sew and be able to see the big picture instead of getting caught up in the details of, say, a corner. Any number of folks can advise, probably some local to you.~~Tanglseamstress