[Artemisia] Re: Tent Opinions

Reuben and Arwen reuben_arwen at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 30 21:53:58 CDT 2007

  Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 14:49:51 -0600
From: "Jason Mohler"
Subject: RE: [Artemisia] Tent Opinions
(snipped)
I have never owned an Ozark Trail tent, but... I still remember the event
when we got a freak snowstorm (Machiavelli's Birthday, I think it was, in
1998). Late May, and it dumped about 6" of wet, heavy snow. Most of the
tents there were Ozark Trails, and the only ones to survive were not.
Matheus

  That was awful.  I was in Lady Adele's nice warm camper at the time, but I remember literally digging people out of snowed under tents.

  Earth pimple dome tents can be fixed up with "tent cozy".  All it takes is fabric, simple sewing skills, and maybe some fabric paint.  Light weight, cheap, easy set up, no canvas chemicals, washable, small & portable, looks good.  Check out my dad's sometime, his is covered with one of those imported bedspreads, in a Middle Easternesque design.

  -Set the tent up, including the top rain fly
  -Centered the bedspread's design on the top of the tent
  -Measure from bottom of bedspread fabric to floor and add seam allowance
  -Measure length of sides
  -Figure out how much extra you need and add 1/2 yrd for matching ties
  -Cut bottom sections out
  -Pin new bottom sections to bedspread sides while it's centered on the tent
  -Fiddle with how you want the corners, they are tricky
  -Sew on extra fabric to the bottom
  -Put the cover back on and adjust it
  -With chalk or fabric marker draw where you want the door and window openings
  -Cut them out carefully and finish raw edges
  -Decide how many ties you need for the top (at least 2), for the corners, bottom, windows, and doors
  -Sew approx 3" wide X 12" long tubes, turn inside out, tuck in ends about 1/2", and top stitch flat.
  -Pin ties to tent cover while the cover is centered on the tent
  -Sew the ties onto the tent cover
  -Option- decorate with fabric paint
  -Tada!

  Remember to check for color fastness of your fabrics and always pre-wash.  Buy extra fabric for matching "cooler cozies" chair covers, and whatever else.  You don't need to start with a bed spread, you can use plain fabric and/or fabric paint it.  Heraldry, stripes, thatched cottage, mini castle, hermit cave, or whatever matches your persona.  Arwen/Esther