[Artemisia] Judging

morgan wolf morganblaidddu at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 6 13:46:06 CDT 2007

----- Original Message ----
From: Sondra Gibson <sgibson at edulog.com>
Sent: Monday, August 6, 2007 12:09:23 PM
Subject: Re: [Artemisia] Judging

HL Morgan wrote:
"People, if you don't like what the judge said, go talk to the judge.
Perhaps what you're reading is not what the judge intended to write, if you
get my meaning (see, it can be difficult!)."

I agree entirely.  The problem being that often the contestants don't get
their judging sheets back until the end of the event.  (after winners are
announced, etc.)  Then there isn't time to find the person, especially if
they are unknown to each other.  After everyone is gone home it makes
contact even more difficult.  However, I have to agree that the judge
deserves to know if someone is very unhappy with their comments or score.
It really isn't fair to have things being said and no way to defend one's
self.  And it's so easy to misinterpret something...

Gefjon
(often a judge, and sometimes worries if what she wrote was understood the
way it was intended...)

Maybe if enough people take the class, and more importantly take it to heart, judging can go faster (if you remove the time spent hunting for judges, it should go much faster, shouldn't it?), and we can reach a point where discussion at the event while it's still fresh in your mind is possible.

artisans/entrants, if you do have questions about something a judge wrote on your sheet, ASK THEM!  Even if you have to send an email after you get home, it's better to ask than to be upset about it and holding a grudge.  And hey, if you find out that the judge in question really did blast your entry and bomb your score because she thinks you're a tramp who stole her friend's boyfriend, THAT is something that the MoAS for that event needs to know, so that THAT person won't be asked to judge again, and some corrective action can be taken.  Yes judges, I am saying that you should be held accountable for what you do when judging, a point I will discuss further in the class.

Morgan