[Artemisia] Judging

morgan wolf morganblaidddu at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 6 19:04:34 CDT 2007

I disagree, respectfully of course, and here's why-
I was taught, way back in the days of ALF and the infancy of the Principality of Artemisia that when one judges an A&S entry, you are juding it solely on the merits of *that* piece.  You are comparing what they did with what their documentation shows that they were trying to do, and scoring on how close they came to *that* standard.  You are not comparing the piece to other pieces on the table, or other pieces the person has done in the past, or to your own work, you are only comparing it to the standard that *the artisan documented*.  So, since the only thing your judging the piece on is it's own merits, who made it is irrelevant, right?  Therefor, anonymous judging sheets are good, it keeps the judges from inadvertently judging the artisan rather than the art.

HAVING SAID THAT- I'm actually most in favor of the interview judging, where the judges get to talk to the artisan, hear their thoughts, and ask them questions.  I realize this totally wipes out the "anonymous entry", but as I'm sure every person who's ever entered an A&S will agree, there's always *something* you forgot to put in your documentation, and it's nice to be able to say "the period piece had this, and I changed it because XXXX", and give the judges some further insight into your process.

Of course, I cannot say enough how much i support, condone, encourage, love, admire and WANT the open discussion between judges *although the scoring should be done individually*.

Morgan Blaidd Du,
mka Morgan Wolf
Damn Vicar Archery and Stuff
www.damnvicar.com