[Artemisia] Semi-OT: Ivory Test?

L.J. Richards richardslj at bresnan.net
Mon Aug 6 19:08:03 CDT 2007

There is ivory, bone that looks like ivory but doesn't have the same
striations, French Ivory (a type of early plastic made to "Look" like
ivory), Bakelite (a very sturdy and almost fireproof plastic) (around the
1930s), and cheaper plastic (a/k/a PVC - polyvinylchloride).  Careful what
you inhale!  "French Ivory" looks nice, is plastic, usually what you find is
from the 1900-1940s.  There's a lighting test I believe you can do and I'll
try and look it up for you later this week because I'm not into doing the
pin bit.  Some of the early plastics are even nastier than PVC, such as
cellulose nitrate (the worst) and cellulose acetate.  If it is
'shredding'/flaking, it's plastic and has no cure.  If it's cellulose
nitrate it destroys anything it's near.  Even some early rubber items (such
as jewelry) can look like ivory but at this date will have a different feel.
How cold or hot it is can often tell you whether it is ivory/bone, plastic,
wood, etc.  (But that's more story than I have time for.)

YIS,
HE Bronwen (who took a plastics conservation course several years ago and 2
hours into the 1st day wanted to NOT know anything about plastics! thank you
very much.  They are a pain-in-the-b--- to care for in a museum collection!)
(ha)