[Artemisia] Smalls and language

Stephanae Baker stephanae at countryrhoades.net
Thu Aug 9 12:21:55 CDT 2007

Dearest Niccolo,

While I agree with many of your points regarding calling children
"children," I cannot embrace it as a standardized term to replace all
others, and one of those "others" is smalls. To me, although the
article I linked to seems to indicate that smalls is an acceptable
"period" term, albeit with a modernized noun declension, and although
linguistics and etymology are among my favorite pastimes, it's not
about authenticity. I speak modern at events all the time. In fact, I
can't speak Middle English, let alone period Italian to match my
persona. And even if I could, no one would understand me.

Because I speak modern, I most often refer to the group of
individuals in question as "children." Although, if I'm talking about
those who are eligible to participate in SCA activities for people
under the age of majority, I usually call them, "youth." Then again,
sometimes I call them kids, brats, monsters, or rugrats—none of which
I will attempt to justify as period terms (although I may have to
compulsively google the etymology of "brat" when I'm finished with
this note)—but again, I don't have the skill to speak period. I don't
call them "smalls," but I always enjoy hearing people use words that
I typically do not use. I have a friend who calls hers "spawn," which
I also don't use in such a context, but it makes me smile. However, I
do worry about authenticity in that I probably would not employ many
of these words were I trying to speak "in persona."

My point is that we speak modern English, and I am for anything that
enriches our lexicon and against anything that would impoverish it.
In fact, I have some amount of difficulty understanding the many
arguments I see in the SCA that indicate we should have only a single
word for each concept. To bring up the oft-referred-to waster
conversation, I remember that several people in that conversation
proposed simply calling the objects "swords." Why not call a sword a
sword? Well, were we to go that route, we would have merchants at
events selling sharp objects made of metal called swords; we would
have grown men and women fighting with tape-wrapped rattan objects
called swords; and we would have people of all ages sometimes
fighting with foam and cloth objects called swords. We would
ultimately end up modifying the noun sword in order to distinguish
between these many "swords." We'd end up with "heavy fighter swords"
and "youth swords" at the very least. So why not head that problem
off, if possible, by keeping more nouns in our lexicon?

Why do we want to eliminate so many words from the English language?
Is it not bad enough that we've already lost almost all declension,
conjugation, and the intimate second person singular? Do we not have
room enough in our Society for both people who use the word
"children" and people who use the word "smalls?" And, isn't it nice
to be able to use more than one word for something and possibly still
remain in persona?

Of course, "common understanding" is not my justification for very
much of my speech—particularly not my written communications. More
often, I am motivated by love of language. These are extremely
different motivators. The first would seem to require standardizing
on simple vocabulary, while the second requires quite the opposite—
expanding and embracing our vocabulary. I'd like to close with an
example of this difference.

I have an object in my house that I most often call a colander. I
grew up calling it that in my house, where my mother owned a similar
object. I also sometimes call it a strainer, which was another word I
commonly heard for it in my childhood, and which makes the object's
purpose quite clear. When I remember that I really like the sound of
the word "sieve," I call it that, just to hear the word. Finally, the
Lady Flora, of whose household I am a member, frequently calls this
object a noodle-stay water-go, which still makes me giggle after five
years. Now, were I motivated by "common understanding," I might feel
compelled to call a household meeting and suggest that we all call a
strainer a strainer, since that seems like the clearest and simplest
of the words for this object. But I am motivated by love of language,
and I love having these multiple words for the same object floating
about. They tickle me.

Of course, I think you will not be able to accuse me of poor
spelling, and I sometimes wonder who I might have been in another
lifetime around the 14th or 15th century to feel this way, but I have
issues with standardized spelling, too. This is especially true in
the SCA, since standardized spelling is definitely NOT early period
and was in its infancy throughout the end of our period. I know that
Shakespeare spelled his own name in at least two different ways,
apparently at whim, and yet our College of Heralds rejects names
based on spelling. I imagine our knowledgeable heralds have good
justification for this practice, but since I haven't discovered the
arguments and precedents for it yet, it still makes me wonder.

Respectfully,
Lady Belladonna