[Artemisia] Using adjectives as nouns

Stephanae Baker stephanae at countryrhoades.net
Sat Aug 11 11:46:06 CDT 2007

On Aug 10, 2007, at 10:23 PM, Megen/Phoebe wrote:
>   It's like calling adults "fats" or "olds".

Actually, this brings up an interesting point, which is that I think
we've been asking ourselves the wrong question linguistically in the
case of "smalls." It's really more about the grammatical practice of
using adjectives as nouns than it is about any one adjective. I would
theorize that in Middle English, it was simply a common practice to
use adjectives as nouns, just as I know they still do in languages
like French and Spanish, and to make them agree in number and gender
with the group of objects being referred to this way. In English,
this practice has become much less common and the idea of gender/
number agreement has disappeared from it entirely. However, we still
use it in come cases, such as the following:

The old
The sick
The dead
The poor

And it is especially common when referring to nationalities of people:

The French
The Japanese
The Italians (here, for some reason, it has even kept its number
agreement)

There is evidence that even as little as 300 years ago, this practice
was even more common in English:

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to be
free."

Most often, today, we add the word "one" after the adjective:

"Which apple do you want?"
"The small one."

In most romance languages, they do not do this:

"Quel pomme voulez-vous?"
"Le petit."

Number and gender agreement make the practice more versatile, but we
don't have that option:

"Les français" translates nicely to "The French."
To translate "Les françaises" properly, we have to say "French
women," "la française" is "The french woman," and "le français" is
"the French man."

The result of this line of thought for me is that I am going to have
to backtrack on my opinion. "Smalls" comes from a period grammatical
practice that has not evolved entirely out of our language. We have a
grammatical equivalent (the small ones), which I will have to use
over "smalls" if I ever want to refer to a group of small things
because I'm compulsively grammatical.

Disclaimer: This was an entirely theoretical argument about English
language and grammar and should in no way be read as an opinion about
what anyone should or should not say.

Belladonna