[Artemisia] SCA Mission Statement and Recognition

rayzentz at aim.com rayzentz at aim.com
Thu Aug 16 20:21:28 CDT 2007

Thank you for your reply.?? I do have aq few comments, with your indulgence...

The shortest statement would be that it would look
like a moderated discussion and/or formal business
meeting in meatspace, at which a noble is the host and
moderator, though moderation duties might be
delegated.

<I was under the assumption that what you describe is>
<largely what occurs in "peer circles", making such>
<unnecessary, or redundant, in "court">

Of course, to confuse the issue further,
as I understand it, "court" was not so much a
particular occasion or gathering as it was a group
consisting of a noble and those who spent time in the
company of that noble.  (That is, the noble's
courtiers.)
<would another word for courtiers then be "fawning sycophants?">

To see court as I understand it, I recommend two
movies -- "Henry V" (the presence-chamber scenes, both
English and French) and "Dangerous Beauty" (the formal
gatherings at which the Doge was present).  Literary
examples would be the evening gatherings that form the
framework for The Decameron, or the four nights of
conversation that The Book of the Courtier purports to
transcribe.
<While I can appreciate the accuracy that may be present >
<in these examples, I do not see the need to be "Totally Accurate">
<in our recreations of period events.  I was told that we >
<re-reate the middle ages "as they should have been".   I don't>
<know that I would care to sit through despensations of judgement>
<and punishments, and other discussions that, while they may>
<be accurate, are, quite frankly, even less interesting than>
<watching paint dry.   I personally enjoy court the way it is>
<now.   The occasional "dispensations" of justice are interesting, >
<but I much prefer it to be occasional>

I have run across period paintings from Italy that
appear to depict recognition being given at courts.
However, these acts don't appear to be the central
activity of the court.  They often seem to happen off
to the side, and only a handful of the courtiers seem
to really be paying attention.

<aside from the "off to the side", this does not seem >
<to be much different.   Many people at court do not seem >
<to be intently focused on what is occuring at all times... >
<of course, this may be because oft times, the words of>
<the people in front cannot be heard...>

A few Uprisings back, there were about a dozen of us
lounging about, discussing life, love, the universe
and everything.  As often happens, the role of
moderator had fallen to (been commandeered by?) me.
A friend traipsed by, with the comment over her
shoulder, "Oh look, Niccolo's holding court again." My
SCA-trained reflexes sent out a great "ack!"  At that
time, I was no longer landed, so to call it "court"
bordered on blasphemy and/or treason in SCA thought.
Yet it was more authentically "court" than the
gathering in the big tent that night.

<Then by all means, continue.   I have no objection... ;-)>

Regards,
Niccolo
bapadget at yahoo.com