[Artemisia] Smalls and language

Angela Zentz allegretza at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 18 09:00:12 CDT 2007

    I am not here to add more fuel to a burning flame, but I just want to add a different perspective.
      I call my kids by nicknames.  Example: My youngest, who is 5, is "Bug".  She flits around like a dragonfly on speed.  Calling her "Bug" in the context of affection is not demeaning.  I think if you are saying "Small" with intent of it being demeaning and degrading, it will be.  You can say "I love you" with  venom and sarcasm and it becomes hurtful.  I do not believe that anyone in the Kingdom is going for that effect.  I know that we are not.  We are just trying to let our kids of Arrow's Flight know that we love and appreciate them enough to make up a word, just for them.  If any single one of the kids are offended or hurt by this title, we would stop immediately.
      If we all agreed on everything, what a boring world this would be.

  Lady Allegretza
  Shire of Arrow's Flight

Megen/Phoebe <hlmegen at yahoo.com> wrote:
  No one asked for my opinion. I just gave it. Small does not equal bad. There are children taller than me though. Do we call them "talls"? I just think there are better words to use... like child or kid or their name. It's like calling adults "fats" or "olds".

Stephanae Baker wrote: I think apologizing is unnecessary, although perhaps I missed the
post that said, "We really want Megen to call a child a small." But
since you proffer an apology, I, for one, accept it and forgive you.
In fact, I strongly support you in your decision. I think you are
falling into the trap that Niccolo mentioned in an earlier post where
all adjectives equal either good or bad. But since small obviously
equals bad to you, it seems like your decision not to use it to
describe children is a very sound one.

Belladonna