[Artemisia] help

ravenmacleod at comcast.net ravenmacleod at comcast.net
Sun Aug 19 12:09:42 CDT 2007

This would really depend on teh time period and the effect that you are going for.

There is no "standard that a gambeson needs to adhere to. Are you looking to re-create a akiton look or a lentiner? By the way there are a lot of confusing and almost interchangeable words for "gambison".

So to answer your question, there are no "requiremets" on the thickness of a gambeson.

Some questions for you:

Are you trying to create a period look or ar you just going for padding?

What are you wearing over or under this gambeson?

In my experience the quilted fabric that you can pick up at you fabric store works well as gambison material and it's realtively thin, though I have a bit of pain tolerance and some natural padding that helps with that. My "favorite" gambison right now is two layers linen on the outside and cotton broadcloth on the inside that's relly thin.

Here's a really interesting discussion about gambesons http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=8426.

--
Raven MacLeod
Esquire

En fides abunde virtus, en virtus abunde fides.

If people knew how hard I worked to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful after all. --Michelangelo

From: "Tiffanyanne Sawyer" <utladybrighid at sisna.com>