[Artemisia] Desserts and rules lawyers

vindulfr at aol.com vindulfr at aol.com
Wed Aug 29 13:40:50 CDT 2007

Recently, the inimitable Catriona wrote, in part:

"I figure if us rules lawyers in the CoH can allow for an oddity per person, surely the populace of Artemisia can ponder it in the face of cheesecake with chocolate lace that bleeds caramel? Or maybe he'll be talked into the raspberry truffle filling between the two layers of handmade cheesecake with a marbling of strawberries. Then there was that one with the rum that we had at Uprising?"

This reminded me of a conversation I was part of at an An Tir event many years ago. For those who did not know the late Founding Baron of Blatha an Oir, Michael was famous for many things, including his generous hospitality, enough jewelry to fulfill a reaver's deepest fantasies,?comfortably decadent albeit non-period campsite (with the glaring mundanities carefully hidden away), and some of the most?yummy cheescakes known to man.

On the evening in question, as I was passing by, Michael greeted me and asked me if I'd care for a slice of his latest creation. I sorta of drooled out the word "Cheesecake?" and went in. One of my roistering companions made the mistake of saying "But is that cheesecake period?"

Michael drew himself up in his seat, folded his arms across his chest, cocked his head slightly, sighed,?and said in a sweet yet withering voice "My lord, many things in this encampment are not period. However, the enjoyment of fine things and comfort is period for me, as is simply being polite. If a slice of my cheesecake offends your period sensibilities, you won't be offered any."

Meanwhile,?I sat in obvious ecstacy, savoring every delicious bite. My companion then slowly said "Well, I suppose that I could force myself ... "

Michael replied "Force yourself? No, I could never permit a visitor to my camp to force themself to enjoy my hospitality. Haakon, would you care for a drop of my Scotch? Or perhaps this liqueur? I find it goes well with cheescake."

Being no fool, I accepted the Baron's offer, while he fixed my companion with a glare and said "In my private encampment, I am the sole arbiter of what is period."

In other words, while the tasty treats mentioned above may not be period, it is perfectly acceptable to enjoy them in the privacy of your own camp. And to share them with friends.

Baron Haakon Haukarson
Who someday hopes he will be remembered as half the host Michael was