[Artemisia] Artemisia Digest, Vol 47, Issue 57

KyneWynn kynewynn at sfcn.org
Thu Aug 30 21:23:38 CDT 2007

This post made me laugh outloud -- and remember a bit of advice I received
when I tool Elang 325, Modern American Grammar.  "Do not correct anyone,
unless asked to do so specifically.  But you will find yourself noting
errors mentally."

I have tried to abide by that advice since then,  with the exception of my
children (my own and my "adopted" ones), I still correct their grammar.  And
they delight in catching ME in a mistake, but it's worth it to me, because I
know they are paying attention to grammar, my daughter Raquel even going so
far as to buy a t-shirt that proclaims, "Good Grammar Is Hot."

 I do find myself "mentally noting" errors in both spoken and written word
all the time though.   Your vs you're,  our vs are, there vs their vs
they're, and  cite vs site vs sight --all examples of words that are
commonly used incorrectly that bother me.  I daresay I've made some sort of
mistake in this missive.  Perhaps we should call all such mistakes "medieval
spelling"  and call it period.

YIS,
KyneWynn
(Writer wannabe)