[Artemisia] A word about merchants (ok, a NOVEL about merchants)

Lady Flora lady_flora at msn.com
Thu Dec 27 13:03:40 CST 2007

Greetings unto the populace of our most glorious kingdom.

My husband and I would like to put in a word or two about SCA merchanting.

I need to warn you that this missive is VERY long, but we plead for your
indulgance, as this is very important to us.  Please do NOT see this as an
attempt to sell our product online.  We are merely asking for input, not
orders.

Lord Aghren and I are planning to attend Estrella War this year, but we are
NOT attending as merchants.  This is a big change for us.  When we tell our
friends in the society that we are attending, but not as merchants, we are
met by a comment like "Oh!  So you're just going to have fun this time, eh?"

Let me, on behalf of other merchants, clear this misconception up.
Merchanting IS fun for us.  Just as fighting is fun for some of you, arts
and sciences is fun for some of you, bardic circles are fun for some of you,
archery is fun for some of you, etc.  The SCA offers many different venues
for many different tastes.  Being independent merchants when we BEGAN
playing in the sca, merchanting was the most logical step for us.

And we enjoy this aspect of SCA life.

Nay we remind you all that we set up a camp, just like the rest of you.  We
spend time AWAY from events working on garb and personae and presentation of
our shop (endeavoring to keep it "period"  which is why we prefer to have a
WORKING shop, as was done in period times.) We have singing and story
telling around our OWN campfires.  We research our product in order to keep
it "period", thus participating in Arts and Sciences activites.  Merchanting
IS fun for us.

Merchanting IS period.  Lord Aghren and I have researched our products.  We
know that floral head garlands are period.  We endeavor to provide a product
that is period, yet lasting, when we make our headwreaths.  They WILL last
for several years, if properly cared for.  Giving little bouquets of flowers
as a token of admiration, love, desire, friendship IS period.  And we have
been excited to fill this niche for our friends in the SCA.  We have
researched the language of flowers and can tell you their ancient symbolism,
their "magickal" powers, etc.  And we can make bouquets up for you, on site,
to fill these needs.

Hair wraps ARE period.  We do them as a modern extension of Celtic battle
braids - which were charms and herbs woven into warriors hair and beards to
encourage good fortune on the battle field.  We try to re-create this, yet
be able to provide something lasting.

Although we are not silver smiths (yet!), jewelry IS period.

However, the last year or so, we have lost our shirts on flowers.

Last year, in preparation for Estrella War, we researched the history of
Valentine's Day and found referrence to it in Chaucer, as well as other
sources.  We printed out a half-page documetation of the practice of giving
flowers at Valentine's Day.  We had several bouquets made up to "peddle" on
Valentine's Day, only to have merchant's row deserted by weather warnings.
This is no one's fault.  This is part of the "crap shoot" that is
merchanting.  Some events are really good to us, others are not.

We have written to Estrella organizers year after year, making ourselves
available for custom floral work for any weddings that may be happening on
site.  The same has been true for Uprising.

We have made ourselves available to marshals and tourneament organizers to
have roses available for tournaments.  We have donated greenery headwreaths
(NOT laurel) to people as an added period touch for announcing winners of
individual tournaments.

We have, more than twice, bailed out a dignitary who has forgotten "thank
you" gifts by providing flowers to him/her at a minimal cost and at the last
minute.

However, we can NOT compete with Walmart and Costco.  As a licensed florist,
we can not buy 10 red roses to sell.  We have to buy 25.  We can not buy 1
enchantment lily to sell.  We have to buy 10 stems.  HOWEVER, we feel that
our product is better than the retail stores.  By the time you buy roses at
Walmart, they are AT LEAST 10 days old.  Ours are 4.  You get whatever color
they happen to have that day.  You can order specific colors from us and
watch us build your bouquet to suit your own needs and tastes.  Our flowers
come with a "drinker" on them, to keep them fresh longer.  So, yes, we are
more expensive than Walmart otr Costco.  But our product is floral-shop
quality.

If this no longer meets the needs of the populace, we are going to stop
selling flowers.  And we don't take it personally.  If the quality of our
product is cost-prohibative for most of you, then so be it.  It's all ok.

And it never fails.  Whenever we show up an event without flowers, we are
asked for flowers by four or five people.  When we DO take flowers, we can't
move them to save our lives.  It's always "iffy" to merchant; we understand
that.  And perhaps there is a happy medium - like not trying to sell
long-stemmed roses, but only smaller, florabunda roses and wildflower mixes.
Or only sell fresh flowers that we can make into headwreaths if they don't
sell as bouquets, like small roses, statice, gyp (baby's breath), etc.

Again, please don't see this as an attempt to sell our product on this
mailing list.  We are merely enlisting the input of our friends so that we
can continue to play as merchants, fill a niche in the scoiety, and have fun
while being of service to others.

Help us out, please.  What would you folks like to see from "the flower
guys?"

Thank you for your patience and consideration.

As Always,
Yours in Service to the Dream,
Lord Aghren the Brus
Lady Flora of Heronton