[Artemisia] A word about merchants & flowers

LadyPDC at aol.com LadyPDC at aol.com
Sat Dec 29 14:08:21 CST 2007

In a message dated 12/29/2007 11:31:12 A.M. Mountain Standard Time,
lady_flora at msn.com writes:

The same  is true for planting marigolds (the American kind, not the
English) along  your vegetable garden paths.  The scent and taste of
marigolds is very  unpleasant to a lot of pesky critters.

Not just good for the garden, marigolds are good for people as well.   Plant
them where ever you intend to sit and enjoy and you will not be bothered  by
mosquitos.  Again something I learned from medieval gardeners (I have a  book
printed in 1473 in which an Italian gardener describes his garden  through two
growing seasons and the whys and wherefores as to planting of  various things.
 Unfortunately it is written in medieval Italian so it is a  very slow
process of translating and then understanding what he is saying.   But it does
provide me with a challenge whenever I am not feeling well)

Anyway, I did plant marigolds along the front pathway and around my rose
patio where I like to sit and read in the summer a couple of years ago and  they
were correct.  That whole summer I didn't receive one bite.   My neighbors put
up zappers and sprayed and did all kinds of other stuff to  no avail.  They
finally came and asked me what my secret was, so I showed  them.  The whole
neighborhood was soon in bloom and the mosquitos abandoned  the area for more
"tasteful" surroundings.  Amazing what one little flower  can do isn't it?

Debbie