[Artemisia] Marigolds?

Lady Flora lady_flora at msn.com
Mon Dec 31 11:08:41 CST 2007

Interesting that you should mention researching flowers.  I am in the
process of putting together TWO A&S presentations - one entitled "The
Language of Flowers" and another entitled "The Working Medieval Garden."
These will not be ready for the populace until this summer, but I am
encouraged to know there is an interest.

And, as to mosquito control, Lemon Balm (or lemon mint) is also a mosquito
repellant.  We almost always have this herb on hand, in either fresh or
dried form.  Dried, it can be scattered in with your thresh to keep your
dwelling smelling nice and deter winged pests.  :-)  It is also a nice
addition to a bit of tea or a fresh salad, but can be overwhelming and
should be used in moderation.  Lemon grass is a better choice for culinary
uses.

Citronella is a member of the geranium family.  It is also a mosquito
repellant and the fragrance is very similar to Lemon Mint.  We have had good
results with this herb when we have put pots of it in our deck during summer
months.  Stopping to "ruffle" the leaves of the plant when passing by
releases a delightful citrus scent and gets the oils from the plant onto
one's hands for pest control.

We usually have wrist-corsage supplies with us, when we have flowers.  I
guess maybe we should make some up and have them on display?  We would also
be delighted to sell someone a single stem to stick into a hat or a braid.

Also, the floral head wreaths are period.  While we DO make some that are
rather outrageous and more in the fantasy realm, (usually out of silk
supplies) the ones with roses and lavender and baby's breath and caspia and
stuff are period.  We don't use daisies or lilies or alstromeria in them, or
any flowers that won't dry nicely and keep their shapes and colors.  We
wouldn't feel right charging full price for a head wreath that would  only
last one day.  But adorning one's head and hair with flowers is VERY period.
And, as Mistress Constance pointed out, tends to take us back to nymphs and
elves fa-la-laing through the woods. *giggle*  It's just kinda fun, we
think.

Again, we are NOT discouraging folks from sharing the delights of their own
gardens!  As gardeners, we know the joy of such acts.

Thank you all, again, for your input!

By the way, the slogan of the Country Rhoades Household is Mercator Habeo
Lusoris Quoque, which , roughly translated, means Merchants are Players,
Too.  *giggle*

In Service to the Dream,
Lady Flora of Heronton