[Artemisia] Marigolds and Roses and Herbs, Oh My!

Dawn Tavares dtavares1 at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 31 14:17:54 CST 2007

Lady Flora made my eyes light up:

> Interesting that you should mention researching flowers.  I am in the
> process of putting together TWO A&S presentations - one entitled "The
> Language of Flowers" and another entitled "The Working Medieval Garden."
> These will not be ready for the populace until this summer, but I am
> encouraged to know there is an interest.

For Uprising?? Yes???! Oh, please please please....

Last year I tried to organize a gardeners' social at Uprising. It wasn't much attended...but I think that war more due to the logistical growing pains of navigating a new site than to lack of interestI taught my fist class at Southern Collegium --  Old European Roses for SCAdians -- and the participants were quite enthusiastic. My presentation still needs a lot of work, but I'd be happy to share the information with any other rose-lovers in the kingdom.

A block of gardening classes at Uprising would be too cool.

> And, as to mosquito control, Lemon Balm (or lemon mint) is also a mosquito
> repellant.  We almost always have this herb on hand, in either fresh or
> dried form.  Dried, it can be scattered in with your thresh to keep your
> dwelling smelling nice and deter winged pests.  :-)

I've found that fresh lemon balm works well as an air freshener. Cast a few stems with leaves next to the cats' litter box, replace when the plant turns brown. Lemon balm eliminates the odors rather than overpowering them  with a heavy herbal scent.

> We usually have wrist-corsage supplies with us, when we have flowers.  I
> guess maybe we should make some up and have them on display?  We would also
> be delighted to sell someone a single stem to stick into a hat or a braid.

As to the issue of flower merchanting -- the thought of anti-mosquito wrist bouquets or hair cockades sounds very appealing.

I'm frankly amazed that so few people snapped up your offerings at Estrella. I would think a quick purchase of long-stemmed red roses from a nearby merchant would be a no-brainer for most fighter guys. Maybe we ought to trundle a wagon filled with bouquets on to the main battlefield during a break: "Yo, gentlemen:  Did you forget it's **Valentine's Day???** You can be certain your lady hasn't!"

> Also, the floral head wreaths ...the ones with roses and lavender and baby's breath and caspia
> are period.

I have an alba rosebush with thornless canes that are particularly flexible. I wonder if those would work for chaplets?

Aurora