[Artemisia] Archery question....

rcfaevans at comcast.net rcfaevans at comcast.net
Mon Feb 5 16:42:01 CST 2007

Maire,

Darling Thea asked me in particular to respond, and I would never deny her...

First, don't buy a bow just yet.  Different people find different styles to be far more comfortable than others.  Generally speaking, most people find a recurve to be the best starter bow.  They tend to be forgiving and are easier to learn basic shooting technique.  A laminated longbow with a shelf is a bit more difficult to learn on, but is more Period (at least for Europeon personae).  I would not recommend a true Period longbow, nor a mongolian horsebow.  They are very difficult to learn technique on and are extrodinarily unforgiving to new shooters.  Don't ignore the possibility of a crossbow.  They are somewhat uncommon here in Artemisia on the target range, but can be quite nice.  If you wish to consider this, I have an excellent contact in Atlantia (the Lady of THL Siegfreid, one of the finest crossbowmen in the Knowne World).

Next, find loaners of the different types you are considering.  Shoot each one, exlusively, for about a month.  By the time you're done, you will know what you want to shoot.  Also, during that time, start saving money to buy your gear.  A good bow will cost between $200 and $400.  You will want a good bow.  Arrows will cost about $70 per dozen.  You will want two dozen.  As mentioned by another, you will lay waste to a number of your first arrows until you start hitting targets.  No matter what, you will damage arrows.  First rule of Archery: 'Don't fall in love with your ammunition'.  I tend to damage about a dozen arrows a year, half of those beyond repair.

An arm guard and glove are necessary.  A quiver is nice to have.  Try out different ones until you find what's comfortable.  Don't be bashful.  Ask other shooters if you can borrow theirs for a few shots.  They will be happy to help.  Then buy what you like.

After that, you only have two things to do:
1.  Stay consistent.  Same arrows, bow, glove, arm guard, quiver.  It all matters and it all must stay the same.
2.  Shoot 10,000 arrows.  By the time you are done, you will be very good. (that's kind of a half-joke Owen and I always say)

Ryryd
Artemisia Archery Champion

From: "Sue Clemenger" <mooncat at in-tch.com>