[Artemisia] Re: Archery question

Lord Godwin FitzGilbert de Strigoil archergodwin at cableone.net
Mon Feb 5 11:50:27 CST 2007

Maire,

I'll add and echo a couple of things:

Find your local group of archers, or group nearest you. I believe we all have a
certain amount of loaner equipment, or at least some different things you can
try. Try and stay away from e-bay style sales. Allow someone in the art lead you
to places you can trust for equipment. As Morgan mentioned, 3Rivers is a great place.

Ryryd is dead on in his suggestions. Only one caveat, and that is about
crossbows: not all mundane ranges or practice ranges allow crossbows.

I wouldn't get expensive arrows for the first month or two. However if they are
made of cedar (most are) they smell great when you break them! Common ritual when
someone breaks an arrow, is to pass the "dead" arrow around to be sniffed ;) But
don't get "cheap" arrows either, they will just confuse you.

When it comes time that you wish to buy your own equipment, allow us in the art
to help. We pretty much know what is good and what is not, and many of us make
equipment for others.

Godwin