[Artemisia] Fw: Stefan's Florilegium files for February

Caointiarn caointiarn1 at bresnan.net
Sat Feb 10 08:45:32 CST 2007

 Greetings to the Gentles of the Known World,

 Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for February, describing  what is
new in the Florilegium this month.

 There are now hundreds of SCA and medieval oriented mail lists. There  is
no way I can keep up with more than a few of these. If you see a  message or
message thread on a public mail list that you think would  make a good
addition to the Florilegium, please send me a copy including the message
header so the author gets credit. Articles are  especially nice. I will give
credit for forwarding the message or
 leave the forwarder anonymous, as desired.

 If you will be going to Gulf Wars in March, I will be teaching my  class on
the Florilegium, twice. For those interested in pewter
 casting, I will also be teaching my hands-on pewter casting class using
carved soapstone molds as well. Please check the official class
 schedule for the specific days and times. If you would like to come  by and
visit and talk about the Florilegium or practically anything
 else, i will be camping with my barony, just across the road from the
Ansteorra gate.

 Stefan
 -------
 A Blending of the Past and Present

 Over the past sixteen years in an ongoing effort, I have been  collecting
bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail
 lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make  this
information available to others, I have placed this information
 in a series of files I call Stefan's Florilegium. The Florilegium is on the
web at: http://www.florilegium.org

 I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an  article
that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send
> it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. Contact me for  more
> details.

 I am also interested in volunteers who might be interested in helping  me
maintain the Florilegium. Everything from collecting materials,
 editing and web work is needed. Again, please contact me for more  details.

 For those who would like to help support the Florilegium project in another
way, I have added a PayPal donation button on the top page of  the site. Any
donations, while not tax deductible, do help pay the  overhead costs of
keeping the site running.

      THLord Stefan li Rous   Ansteorra    stefan at florilegium.org

 Here are the new files for this month:
> In the ANIMALS section:
    sheep-lambs-msg      Medieval sheep and lambs. Breeds.

 In the FEASTS section:
>    Spanish-Feast-art    A Spanish Feast cooked by Mistress Jadwiga
> Zajaczkowa at the Conviencia 2 event.

 In the FOOD-BOOKS section:
>    online-ckbks-lst     A list of online medieval cookbooks and food
> manuscripts by Thomas Grozier.

 In the PERFORMANCE ARTS section:
>    CF-Drink-Sngs-art    Campfire Drinking Songs collected by Lord Gyric of
> Otershaghe.

 In the PERSONA section:
>    Persona-Play-art     "Persona Play: A Suggestion for the Dream"  by THL
> Caitlin Christiana Wintour.

In the PLANTS, HERBS AND SPICES section:
>    p-fertilizer-msg     Use and composition of period fertilizers.

 Here are some of the updated files.
    books-food-msg       Books about food. Not cookbooks.
    p-tableware-msg      Period tableware. Period references
    fruit-citrus-msg     Period citrus fruits. Recipes.
    livestock-msg        Medieval livestock. Pigs, cattle, sheep.
    lovage-msg           A medieval vegetable similar to celery.
    presrvd-lemons-msg   Dried, pickled and salted preserved lemons.
    rec-in-verse-msg     Period recipes written in a verse format.
    royal-deaths-msg     Stories of the best SCA royal deaths.

 Now that we are in the depths of winter, I thought I would highlight  a few
of the files in the Florilegium which deal with this season.
    Candlemas-msg        Candlemas celebrations.
    cld-weath-cmp-msg    Cold weather camping at SCA events.
    cloaks-msg           Cloaks, cloak pins and clasps.
    p-toasting-msg       Toasting customs in period. References.
    wassail-msg          Spiced cider and ale drinks. Traditions.
    Winter-Feast-art     A 12th Night Feast served near Hamburg, Germany in
2004 by Giano Balestriere.
    wintr-sports-lnks    Links to info on medieval winter sports by Dame
Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
> ---
 Copyright 2007, Mark S. Harris.
 Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted  if the
contents are left unchanged and the author is notified of the
 publication. Notification may be by email and reformatting is allowed.
 <end>