[Artemisia] Brewer's Guild: Friday, Feb. 2nd

rcfaevans at comcast.net rcfaevans at comcast.net
Mon Feb 26 17:20:36 CST 2007

Very well. Here are the issues of the debate:

When I judge brewing, I include a 'difficulty factor'.  No big surprise.  Cordials live in two worlds.  If a cordial is made in the Period way (brewing a wine, mead, or mash, distilling, flavoring, etc.)  it would be the very most difficult brewing thing to make.  But, it is illegal to distill any alcholic beverage of any type in any way in the United States without a license.  So, even if someone did it 'on the sly', the entry would be void because it broke Corpora Law.  So, a person is left with buying a mundane liquor (vodka or white brandy, normally) and flavoring it.  Very easy.

Because of the ease of making a Cordial, I tend to judge them pretty harshly.  At an event where we were judging brewing, Morgan and I debated (with Cas in between us) my judging criteria.  One such item was, in fact, clarity.  My stance was that clarity is a judging factor for Cordials and that this factor should be looked at keenly.  I will leave it to Morgan to state his position.

There are other factors I look at, also very keenly:
Documentation (obviously)
Periodness (cordials were originally medicines, not beverages.  A bad-tasting cordial is often the best, Period-wise.  I ALWAYS open a can of worms on this one!!!!)
Materials used
Flavor
Odor

So, let the debate begin!!!!