[Artemisia] Volunteering at Uprising

Ysabel de Lille ysabel_delille at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 27 18:05:02 CST 2007

Greetings Artemisia!

Now that you've all had a chance to unpack from Estrella and shake the dust out of your hair, we, the volunteer-coordinators for Uprising, would like you all to turn your attention to that fun future event.

This year, volunteering at Uprising will be a little different.  Yes, we know, this is early, but we want you all to be thinking about this and counting heads of who's coming in your groups.  To give you a heads up, we're going to be contacting each group, each household, each barony (yeah, ok, you get the picture) individually, as you pre-reg for Uprising, to ask you to fulfill a set amount of volunteer hours at Uprising.  The amount of hours will be determined by the size of your group.  For example, if House Honeypot decides they're coming to Uprising, and they have twenty members, we will ask them to fill up 20-40 hours of service minimum.  This is only one to two hours of service in an entire week of fun Per Person.  On the other hand, if House Hip-hip-hooray shows up, and they have only four people, we will ask them to fill only 4-8 hours of service total.

We will not tell you WHEN you need to fill your hours, or WHO has to fill them.  How House Hip-hip-hooray and House Honeypot decide to divide these responsibilities are up to them.  If Lord Eeyore of House Honeypot decides he's going to do all 20 hours himself in the name of his household, peachy for him!  If Lady Chier L'Eader, head of House Hip-hip-hooray, divides up their hours among their four members, so that each only serves one hour, fantastic!  If they want to do it all on the first day of Uprising so they can party for the rest, great!  If they want to divide the hours evenly each day, super!  It's Up To You!

We also will not tell you WHAT you need to do.  We will provide the list of available and desperately needed spots that need to be filled in order of chronological precedence.  This means that the sooner you sign up to do X amount of hours for your Barony/House/Whatever, the more choice you will have over what you do and when!

To help give you incentive, House Wool Key will be offering the following:  A prize of a BANNER will go to the group with the MOST HOURS COMPLETED of service at Uprising!  You will have the right to show this banner off for an entire year at any event you go to.  At the next Uprising, you'll give it up to the next winner (unless, of course, your group wins again.)

Now, we realize that larger groups are going to have a slight advantage over smaller groups here.  So in that vein, we propose (READ AS: this could be subject to change!) to judge this by percentage of members vs percentage of hours and blah blah math blah blah more math.  Think Biggest Loser style competition where they figure out who wins by how much body percentage was lost as opposed to just pounds in general.

Just as a side note, the Uprising Guard are NOT allowed to be part of this competition...;)  Sorry guys!  Depending on how this goes this year, though, we MIGHT just let the Guard play next year!

Every group who completes their minimum hours will recieve a small prize (still to be determined, but we're thinking something along the lines of Coins of the Realm, Cheesecake, and other such yummies!  Feel free to tell us what you want! Within Reason, of course!!!)

Now how does this help us all?  If every person and/or every group fulfills just their minimum volunteer hours, EVERYONE will have more time for fun, classes, fun, fighting, fun, SLEEP, and MORE FUN!!!!  Ivar and Robert the Lost might actually find their beds this year!  Just think what would happen if the Uprising Guard had to SIT DOWN because THERE'S NOTHING FOR THEM TO DO!!! (ok, for all of an hour, anyway! ;D)

Now obviously, we don't have a schedule of every day's activities and needs yet for Uprising this year, but you know what we need.  We'll be needing Town Criers for announcements, Voice Heralds for Tournaments and Competitions, Security Walkers, People to Help Set Up Stuff (like Queen's Tea, Laurels' Prize stuff, etc...those tables and chairs don't set themselves up!), General Gophers and Lackeys, Teachers, Water Bearers, Pickle-giver-outers...the list goes on!

We will keep reminding you about this so that it'll stay fresh in your minds.  Hopefully, this will help Uprising run smoothly this year, because the more volunteers there are, the smoother it runs, and the more people are able to have fun and relax!

Thank you so much ahead of time for your volunteering efforts!  If there are any questions, PLEASE don't hesitate to contact either us, or the event steward for Uprising.

Yours in Service,

Aethric filius Eahlston and Lady Ysabel de Lille

~*~Lady Ysabel la Serena de Lille~*~

Abeunt studia in mores