[Artemisia] More info about Volunteering at Uprising

Ysabel de Lille ysabel_delille at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 28 17:51:37 CST 2007

To the Kingdom of Artemisia,

We are putting aside our jovial jokes and witticisms to address you as fully and as honestly as possible.

First of all, this posting about volunteering at Uprising was never intended to offend and anger so many people as it obviously has done. For the offences taken by our posts, we duly apologise, and hope you will see and understand that offence was not intentional, or desired.
Secondly, Uprising is supposed to be a fun event. Yes, the Barony of 1000 Eyes hosts it, but it is a large and fun event that everyone seems to enjoy, and we, as a Barony, certainly enjoy putting it on.

***Please, understand, we are NOT trying to start a flaming war here about the whole Baronial event vs. Kingdom event thing. We are sticking strictly to the volunteering thing, which is what started this whole thing, sadly.  Discussion for the above riot-inciting topic can be held at another place and another time, and with the people who actually know much more about it than we do as volunteer stewards.

Getting back to the Fun Event bit, Uprising IS a fun event, with lots of things for everyone to do and participate in, which is why it’s so wonderful. One of those things people can participate in is actually helping make the event run smoother for everyone. As a Barony, we do the brunt of the work, as it is, as has been mentioned, the Barony’s event. A wonderful and hard-working core of people sacrifice a lot of time and effort and sleep to make certain that everyone else has a great time. (NOTE: this is not a guilt trip or an attempt to say that we should do otherwise, it’s a simple fact.) It is also a simple fact that if a lot of people volunteer only a little time, the work gets spread out, and more people are able to have more fun.

And this is what it boils down to, Artemisia. The SCA is FUN. We don’t get dressed up as Vikings and Celts and Normans and Italian Courtesans and Belly dancers and Peasants and Lords and Ladies and all because we dread dealing with each other and hate the middle ages and camping and feasting. We play (note the word, PLAY) because we have fun. We enjoy each other. We enjoy this game!

I suppose I live in a happy little world, and I feel very lucky and happy about that. In my world, we all play together, and help each other, and have fun together, because we like to. Because it’s fun. And that’s what I see when I look at such wonderful events like Uprising, or like Estrella where volunteering is actually counted as a War Point. Essentially, this banner we are proposing is rather like the war point
only displayable.

Artemisia, you do not need to volunteer at this event. You do not need to feel obligated to fill hours on behalf of whatever group you wish to name. You do not need to feel guilty, or that we’re pressuring you, or manipulating you, or forcing you. We’re not. Our entire purpose in suggesting this competition for volunteering at Uprising was so that more people can have fun. And not just the Uprising Guard! Because one thing that people who do volunteer continually can tell you, serving others is just fun. You can meet new people, see and learn new things, and get that fun fuzzy warm feeling because you did something that helped someone else, no matter how small or how big, or how publicized or how private.  Volunteer as you wish, join the competition if it seems like fun.  Uprising will still go on, people will still have fun, the sun will rise and set if you or your group decides you do not wish to volunteer, either as part of this competition or not.  And that's ok!  That's the way it's supposed to be!  If EVERYONE volunteered we probably wouldn't have enough for them to do! ;)

This competition is going to happen at Uprising, because, just as the SCA is so wonderfully diversified in Arts, Sciences, Rapier, and Armoured combat, so to are people in the SCA. Some people like or want to volunteer, but don’t know how, and don’t know what is needed. Some people just enjoy contests! And this competition is going to be specifically targeted at those latter people. This competition will show people all the things they *can help with if they *want to help. It will give some of them a reason to get over their shyness, and help them come out of their shells (so to speak!).
In the end, volunteering isn’t about recognition or praise. Most people who volunteer for events, mundane, or otherwise, do it for their own reasons. They do it to feel good. Inside, where it doesn’t show. That’s the best reason and motivation for volunteering. To those people who give so much of their time and efforts to making the world around them a happier and better place, we commend, respect, and laud you.

For now, let us say this, as simply and as clearly as possible, so as to hopefully avoid any further confusions and offences.

1. We reiterate once again that the volunteer competition is not a mandatory requirement.

2. Those parties interested in the volunteer competition will abide by rules, according to the nature of competitions.

3. The minimum hours required, are, as Pirates of the Caribbean so succinctly put it, “more like guidelines.” They are there to help give an idea and an estimate and a goal.

4. This is supposed to be a happy occasion! (insert Monty Python banter here). We are here to have fun, and enjoy the Dream. The Dream of chivalry, honour, gentility, and kindness, as well as the sheer joy of beating the living stuffings out of each other if that is your particular cup of tea. Let’s remember that. We’re here to have fun, and help each other to have fun.

5. As for the rules of the competition itself, they are still being hammered out. This is a new thing to all of us. We’re trying to work on this to make it as *fun* and as fair to everyone participating as possible. We appreciate your patience and your positive feedback.

6. Please remember that we, as mortals, are bound to make mistakes in our wording. It happens to everyone. If there is any further confusion or questions, please contact us directly and privately, and we will discuss it with you until all parties are, if not necessarily satisfied, at least clarified.
Again, we appreciate your patience and support as we try to make this a fun time for everyone.

Yours in Service to the Dream,

Aethric and Ysabel
Volunteer Coordinators for Uprising