[Artemisia] Re: Artemisia Digest, Vol 40, Issue 23

Jeanne P / Casamira jeannecas at gmail.com
Sat Jan 20 15:02:31 CST 2007

My dear Morgan,
Rat Boy has been mine since Uprising.  I was approaced by several different
nobles after the children's court and asked to take this Wunder Rat under my
care - and to give him lessons in how to read the names of Kings!  I spoke
with his mother and Rat Boy himself at that event.

I thought is was most gracious of me to "share" him with you.  However you
have set up an evil plot.

Here is an Amaretto recipe:
 1/2 tsp. pure almond extract     1 1/2 c. vodka      1/2 c. sugar syrup

 Directions: Make the sugar syrup (2 parts sugar, 1 part water. Boil 5
minutes), cool, add other ingredients, shake well, Mature a few days and it
is ready to dring. Makes 2 c.

Or how about this one?  Fred's Homemade Amaretto in a Morgan size - 1.5gallons

3 cups water             4 cups sugar               1.75 liters inexpensive
vodka
3 liters apricot brandy   1 cup Karo Syrup       4 oz. almond extract
Make a simple syrup. cool.  add the remaining ingredients.  Bottle in
colored bottles and age at least 2 weeks.

None of these recipes are period because they use almond extract so I don't
make them.
I do not see any recipes that use actual almonds.
Research shows:
Bitter almonds are successfully processed to make almond extract and
almond-flavored liqueurs, free of the toxins. The bitter almond, a cousin to
the sweet almond, contains in its raw state traces of lethal prussic acid.
Five unprocessed bitter almonds can be toxic for a child (such as Rat Boy)
and fifteen can be lethal for an adult (although it might take a few more
for Morgan). Although the toxicity is destroyed by heat, the sale of
unrefined bitter almonds is prohibited in the United States.

So . . . for me to make a true Amaretto for Morgan, I would have to break
the law to obtain unrefined bitter almonds.

Do you see this.  Morgan claims my ward and will only relinquish his claim
if I break the law!  What a trap this man sets.

The rat boy is MINE!

Cas