[Artemisia] Announcing Barons War Banner Contest

BECKY LEISHMAN leishman10 at msn.com
Sun Jan 21 14:13:07 CST 2007

Feel free to cross post to other SCA lists or include in your local SCA newsletter:

Baron's War - VOLUNTEER WAR BANNER

DESIGN CONTEST

Greetings one and all,

As it is now a tradition, the Great Barony of Loch Salann will present a war of Barons each and every year.  This war will determine by points in combat and arts, who will own the prized 'relic' of AS ALI for the upcoming year.

To that end, a new tradition and a new prize is to be created. So that all may know the great and generous offer of time and service that has been dedicated to the war effort, a VOLUNTEER banner will be awarded. The holder of the banner will be determined by 'registered' hours during the event and presented on the final day of the war.  It is to be returned each year and awarded to the group that has contributed the greatest number of volunteer hours to the Baron's War effort.  The winning group will be allowed to add an embellishment designating their group and year of service to the banner prior to its return. Detailed rules for winning the banner will be announced at the event and via other official Baron's War event announcements.

So that a banner worthy of this great effort may be created, we call upon your artistic talents to enter in our 'Volunteer Banner Design Contest'.  To enter this contest, you are not required  to sew the banner, you are only required to draw and color your design. A grand prize will be awarded to the winner of this competition, and a 'token' of thanks will be given to all persons who submit an entry.

The rules:

Deadline:  Entries must be RECEIVED by Bethoc no later than 8:00 pm, Wednesday March 21, 2007.  You will be informed that your entry has been received no later 8:00 pm on March 22, 2007.

The design:

Must be drawn on an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of plain paper.

So that it can be easily transferred to a banner, avoid overly complex designs.

So that we may see the full effect of the banner, judge it accordingly and hopefully enlarge and transfer it directly to a large banner,submit:

one line drawing (black and white),

the same drawing colored.

The colors used in the design are limited to those used in SCA heraldry:

black, white (silver), red, blue, green, yellow (gold), and purple

The design itself does not 'have' to be heraldically correct, however that is preferred.

A description of the elements and why they were selected is beneficial but not required.

You are permitted to replicate heraldic 'charges' from another source such as a book on heraldry, however you must not replicate someone's personal device or the device of an existing group.  If you traced or copied charges from a book, please identify the source.

You will be allowed to submit multiple entries for consideration, however only one prize or token will be awarded per person. If the 'exact' same design (black and white) is entered by multiple persons, only the first one received will be considered.  You are welcome to submit different colored variations of your own line drawings.

Age restrictions - None, young and old alike are welcome to submit an entry.

On the back of each page of your entry, PRINT the following information:

Your name, SCA

Your name mundane (legal)

If under 18 years of age (youth), your age.

Your contact information (phone/email address)

The name of your group (barony/shire/canton, etc)

Your description of the design elements and why they were selected (optional)

Also note:

Indicate whether or not you be attending Defender Tourney on March 24?

Indicate whether or not you would be willing to make (sew) the banner (NOT mandatory,  - materials will be provided)  If yes, whether or not  that be contingent if your design was selected, or would you be interested in making the banner regardless of who wins?.

Indicate whether or not we can also use your line drawings in a future coloring book for the youth.

Indicate whether or not you plan to attend Baron's War in July 2007.

The entry may be given to me directly up to the deadline, or can be sent by mail (postmark no later than 3/14/07) to:

HL Bethoc

Becky Leishman

628 N. American Beauty Dr.

Salt Lake City, UT 84116

Or send electronically up to the deadline to:  leishman10 at msn.com<mailto:leishman10 at msn.com>.

In the subject line, please state:  Volunteer Banner Contest - design submission.

No entries received after the deadline will be considered.

The judges will be selected from a group of BLS members that are NOT participating in the contest.  The winner will be announced at Defenders Tourney at which time the grand prize will also be awarded.  You do not have to be present at this event to win (although we would appreciate it if you are).  Each entrant will be notified of the receipt of their entry no later than 8 PM on Thursday March 22.

If questions, you can speak to me directly at fighter practice or other events, or I can be contacted during the hours of 5 PM or 10 PM  at 322-4984 or by email at leishman10 at msn.com<mailto:leishman10 at msn.com>

To avoid loss, please keep a copy of your submission (at a minimum the line drawing).