[Artemisia] From the Calendar Deputy, feel free to forward, longish

morgan wolf morganblaidddu at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 22 09:54:16 CST 2007

Greetings all,

I am cross-posting this to all the lists I subscribe to, please feel free to do the same to any list it hasn't already made it to.  Seneschals, please share with your local groups.

I note with some concern that more than one group is coming up against deadlines and facing having to seriously consider canceling events due to lack of acceptable bids/stewards.  I also note that some who have expressed interest in stewarding events are not quite grasping the urgency of the requests for information from their Seneschal/Baronage, so please allow me to clarify a few points-

If you are bidding on a local event, your bid submission should be done no less than **FIVE MONTHS PRIOR** to the event date.  If you are chosen/assigned to steward an event, your *complete* paperwork should be done no less than **FOUR MONTHS PRIOR**.  If you are bidding on a Kingdom Level Event, your bid(s) should be ready to present **AT THE PRECEDING CROWN TOURNEY** to the winners of said tourney.

Some of you may be wondering why I state these deadlines, so here's the reasoning (NOTE: EVENT NAMES ARE EXAMPLES ONLY, this is not to be taken as a slight to the stewards of these upcoming events)-
EVENT BID- if you are bidding on an event, let's just say Melee Madness, you should submit your *complete* bid by  January 1, so that those approving (or not) have time to fully review it and return it for corrections if necessary before print deadlines. The extra month here is to allow consideration and discussion of all bids.
ASSIGNED EVENT-If your Baroness says "you are steward for Gryphon's Lair Baronial Championships",  you should be submitting your *complete* event registration by February 28th, so that any corrections or changes can be made before the print deadlines.
KINGDOM EVENTS-  The very last thing any Crown or Coronet should have to do is publicly say "gee, we don't have any bids for the next Crown Tourney, if anyone is interested in hosting it please let us know".  None of the dates change, the event formats are pretty standard, all that's lacking is your decision to put forth the effort.  I can honestly say that when Stan Wyrm decided to bid on every single Kingdom Event for the next year, they presented bids to the winners at 3 consecutive Crown Tourneys while they were still taking off their armor.  Give the new Prince and Princess as much time as possible to consider their options, by giving them those options as soon as possible.

I have mentioned repeatedly the print deadlines, and I know some folks are wondering why I'm saying they are so early compared to the event, here's why- Assuming you want your  June 5th event published at least one month prior to the month it actually happens, the Sage deadline for the May issue is April 1st.  That means in Freydis' hands ready to print BEFORE April 1st, not "can you get this in please?" on April 20th, or 10th, or even 2nd.  How much better would it be if she had the option of printing TWO full months prior to the event, because you submitted it before March 1st, which you could do if you had submitted your event registration to your Seneschal by February 5th (and gotten it back for corrections and re-submitted it), which is (drum-roll please) **four months prior to the event**!

I promise you, if we all follow this timetable, we will have a much happier Chronicler, much happier Seneschals, and much happier Crowns, since everything will be prepared far enough ahead of time to make necessary changes fairly minor when they come up, and we all know they will.

HL Morgan Blaidd Du,
Deputy Kingdom Seneschal- Calendar
(going back to my Uprising preparations now)