[Artemisia] Trial By Fire competition rules

Jeanne P / Casamira jeannecas at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 22:37:41 CDT 2007

Here are the rules!!

TRIAL BY FIRE    Baron's War 2007   General Guidelines
 Baroness Casamira Jawjalny, OL, OP, sponsors this Challenge.

The challenge is to create a period dish under the conditions found at
the Estrella War.

This is an opportunity for all those interested to come and cook and
compete and socialize.

It is also that rare opportunity to recognize that Cooking is a
Spectator Sport!

The Categories:

         1. Best Meat  (Includes fish and shellfish)
         2. Best Vegetable
         3. Best Grain  (Includes Bread)
         4. Best Dessert
         5. Grand Champion - to be awarded at the Judges discretion.

The Rules:

      1) The recipe must either be:

            a) published between 650 and 1650 AD. (For the empirically
inclined Apicius will be accepted).

            b) have all ingredients and cooking methods documented in period.*

   2) Recipes must be brought to the competition. Please bring at
least 3 copies.

   3) Competitors must bring all ingredients to site and prepare the
dish in situ.**

   4) Dishes must be prepared under conditions as found at Estrella.
No electric appliances.

      Acceptable examples: Grill, Smoker, Dutch Oven or Spit over an
open fire (assuming site permits ground fires). If you have questions,
please ask.

      5)  You must bring all cookers, pots, pans, utensils, dishes,
etc. necessary to prepare your dish.

      (NOTE: Please mark all your utensils, dishes, etc., so that the
orphans left behind can be reunited with their loved ones.)

   6) Dish must be sufficient to serve 8 to 10 healthy adults. (No
penalty for making more.)

      7) Each competitor may enter only one dish per category, but may
enter as many categories as desired.

   8) All competitors must register on the day of the competition with
the Registrar.

   9) On site registration will open at 11:00 a.m. (place to be announced)

   10) Preparation and cooking will begin at 12:00 noon.

   11) Dishes must be completed and ready to serve at 4:00 p.m.

Please contact the sponsor if you have questions or need an ingredient verified.

* "Food" by Waverly Root will be used as the final arbiter for
periodicity. There will be a copy on site.

** No advance preparation is permitted, UNLESS the recipe clearly
states that the step requires more than a few hours. Documentation is
required.

The Judging:

Judges will be drawn from impartial Notables present. Judging will be
blind and will use these criteria.

   1) Presence of and completeness of Documentation***

   2) Taste

   3) Texture

   4) Presentation

      5) Bonus points based on the judges' experience in the field of
period cooking. For example: if a dish has been religiously copied
from a period source despite complexity or cost or if a dish displays
notable creativity within a recipe, etc.

Prizes will be awarded after the completion of the judging.

***   Minimal documentation should include (1)  the original recipe;
(2) your redaction; (3) show ingredients were found in period and (4)
your notes related to any changes made in the recipe and your reasons
therefore, and any other pertinent information.

Things to bring:

   1. Your recipe (3 copies) and any additional documentation. (NOTE:
Minimal documentation should include (a) the original recipe; (b) your
redaction or translation; and (c) any notes related to changes you
made in the recipe and why, information on the dish or ingredients,
the cooking method, etc.)
   2. All your ingredients.
   3. All the pots, pans, utensils, etc., necessary to prepare your
dish. This includes knives, cutting boards, serving dishes, dishpans,
sponges, towels, garbage containers, etc. NOTE: please mark what you
bring.
   4. A table or other surface on which to prepare and cook your dish(es).
   5. Chairs (if you wish to be seated).
   6. Appropriate cooking accessories – your grill, Coleman stove,
smoker, hot pads, towels, etc.
   7. Your favorite liquid refreshment (the Sponsor will provide water).

Things to remember:

   1. This competition is open to all.
   2. Spectators are welcome. Please bring your own chairs, snacks,
beverages so you don't interrupt those cooking.
   3. You are responsible for any children/pets that you bring.   Do
not let them interfere with the cooks.

My thanks to the Bright Hills, Atlantia Cook's Guild for lending me
their rules for this competition.  Trial by Fire was conceived by her
Excellency Cordelia, when she was the head of the Cooks' Guild here.
It has a simple premise – to give the cooks a chance to demonstrate
their individual skills at research, documentation, cooking, and
presentation.

The challenge is to accomplish this in relatively rustic conditions.
In true SCA tradition, it has been held many times in our back yard
(which cannot compare to the one true backyard, but still……..). Cooks
have used everything from Coleman stoves and propane rings, to the pig
cooker and open fires. It has been proved on multiple occasions that
cooking can be a spectator sport!

Competitor Notes from the 2006 Grand Champion, Lady Katherine, Bright
Hills, Atlantia:

I was one of the competitors in the last Trial by Fire competition
held in September of 2006. I would like to share with you my
preparation for the competition.

The competitors where allowed to enter either a recipe published
between 650 and 1650 AD. or have all ingredients and cooking methods
documented in period. I first thought of a dish that I would enjoy
eating and cooking. I then searched through numerous recipe books
pertaining to period cooking. When I could not find just the right
recipe that I was looking for, I then decided to create my own recipe
and document the ingredients. My source of information was found
mostly in "Food" by Waverley Root and a foodtime line
http://www.foodtimeline.org Lynne Olver 1999.

My entry was a Mediterranean dish called "Shrimp by Fire." My recipe
consisted of 3 lbs of large shrimp, fresh from the docks of West Ocean
City, Maryland, served over freshly made pasta on a bed of fresh
asparagus, surrounded with sliced portabella mushrooms, and then
topped with a garlic butter sauce. All in all it took me about three
weeks of research and experimental cooking in order to perfect this
dish.
Lady Katherine O'Carroll, Bright Hills, Atlantia

Trial By Fire Entry Form:

I wish to compete in the Trial By Fire Competition at Baron's War.

SCA Name : _________________________________________  Local SCA Group:
___________

            (please PRINT clearly)

Mundane Name: ______________________________________   City/State:
_________________

Contact info: e-mail address  ______________________________________

Other: ________________________________________________________________________

The Category or Categories I will enter:

      ___  Best Meat  (Includes fish and shellfish)

      ___  Best Vegetable

      ___  Best Grain  (Includes Bread)

      ___  Best Dessert

I must RECEIVE your registration before July 23 to:
jeannecas at gmail.com or

mail to Baroness Casamira Jawjalny % Jeanne Panlener

10083 Heytesbury Lane

Sandy, UT 84092

Pre-registration is required to ensure we have at least 4 competitors.

If there are not 4 competitors, the competition will be cancelled.

If there are at least 4 competitors, the competition WILL be held and
additional competitors can sign up with me until 10 AM the day of
competition.

--
Jeanne Panlener / Baroness Casamira Jawjalny, O.L., O.P.
Artemisian Minister of Arts & Sciences