[Artemisia] Medieval Reading for Viking wannabes

Lynne Puckett tarimaat at bresnan.net
Fri Jul 27 12:16:54 CDT 2007

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 04:51:16 EDT
  JRoss007 at aol.com wrote:
> Been Reading and rereading  " VIKINGS , The North  Atlantic Saga " By
>Fitzhugh and Ward. Published by the Smithsonian National  Museum of Natural
>History.
>   Rally nice read on a number of different subjects. I think it  was a
> textbook for someone in Bozeman in '05. Got left at The Hardees I was
> running
> there, left in the store for the last 8 of the 11 weeks that I was  there,
>so in
> true Viking fashion, I took it home.   Lots of nice pics  of relics and
> artifacts. Info on " The Farm Beneath the Sand " in Greenland,  and  "
> L'Anse aux
> Meadows " are real eye openers. Definitely wanted  to get me a Norse
>persona. <G>
>
>    Lord Eoin , (The Viking Wannabe)

Eoin & others,
check your local libraries for the _Sagas of Icelanders_ - a 5-volume set that
has ALL the old Norse sagas in English translation. It was published by the
Icelandic government to commemorate the 1000th anniversary of Leif Erickson's
landing in N. America & sent to many US libraries, including Bronzehelm's own
Parmly Billings Library. Here's the bibliographic info for those of you
interested:

839.63 COMPLET
  Title  The complete sagas of Icelanders, including 49 tales / general
editor,
                  Viðar Hreinsson ; editorial team, Robert Cook ... [et al.] ;
                  introduction by Robert Kellogg.
  Publisher  Reykjavík : Leifur Eiríksson Pub., 1997.
  Description  5 v. : ill., maps ; 25 cm.
  Notes  "Viking age classics"--Cover.
Bibliography  Includes bibliographical references.
  Contents  v. 1. Vinland and Greenland -- Warriors and poets -- Tales of
poets --Anecdotes -- v. 2. Outlaws and nature spirits -- Warriors and poets --
Tales of the supernatural -- v. 3. An epic : Njal's saga --Champions and
rogues -- Tales of champions and adventures -- v. 4. Regional feuds -- v. 5.
An epic -- Wealth and power --  Religion and conflict in Iceland and
Greenland.
  Subjects  Sagas -- Translations into English.
             Old Norse literature -- Translations into English.
  Add Author  Viðar Hreinsson.
  ISBN  9979929308 (set)
               9979929316 (v.1)
               9979929324 (v.2)