[Artemisia] Fw: West Nile Virus

Lynette Stumpp pandabr at srv.net
Fri Jun 1 13:55:20 CDT 2007

Trying again. Here is the info on West Nile Virus we would like everyone to
be aware of. Please cross post to other lists for those who you know will be
at Uprising.

Baroness Antoinette

Subject: [1000eyes] West Nile Virus

> Information compiled by Mst. Ariel of York (Barb Paris) from CDC
> brochures.
>
> West Nile Virus (WNV)
>
> West Nile Virus (WNV) is potentially serious illness.  WNV has occurred in
> this area of the country.  WNV is carried by the bite of infected
> mosquitoes.  The easiest and best way to avoid WNV is to prevent mosquito
> bites by:
> Using Insect Repellents containing and EPA-registered repellent.  Insect
> repellents containing DEET or Picaridin have been proven to be the most
> long-lasting and effective.  Repellents containing oil of lemon eucalyptus
> (plant derived active ingredient) are also registered with the EPA.
> Follow
> the directions on the packages carefully.
> Wearing long sleeve shirts and pants at dusk and dawn as mosquitoes are
> most
> active at these times.
> Making sure you have good screens on your doors and windows.
> Removing standing water and eliminating breeding areas for mosquitoes.
> Most people (~80%) who are infected with WNV will not show any symptoms at
> all.  Up to 20% of the people infected with WNV will display symptoms
> which
> can include fever, headache, body aches, nausea, vomiting, and sometimes a
> skin rash.  Symptoms can be as short as a few days, but even healthy
> people
> have been sick for several weeks.
> About 1 in 150 people infected with WNV will develop server illness.
> Severe
> symptoms can include high fever, headache neck stiffness, stupor, coma,
> convulsions, numbness and paralysis.  These symptoms may last several
> weeks,
> and neurological effects may be permanent.
> People typically develop symptoms between 3 and 14 days after being bitten
> by an infected mosquito.  There is no specific treatment for WNV
> infection.
> Symptoms are treated as they develop and in more serious cases, may
> require
> hospitalization.  For more information about WNV visit
> www.cdc.gov/westnile
>  or call CDC at 1.800.232.4636.
> Submitted by Mst, Ariel of York (SCA)/ Barb Paris (Mundane)Information
> from
> CDC Brochures.
>
> YIS
> Lady Anna Rayne (SCA)
> Michelle Bilodeau (Mundane)
> chronicler1000eyes at hotmail.com

For more information about West Nile Virus in southeast Idaho, visit
the Southeast District Health Department's WNV website at:
http://www.sdhdidaho.org/eh/wnv.html
This page also includes contact information for local people.