[Artemisia] Groceries and Uprising

Catherine Helm-Clark no1home at onewest.net
Tue Jun 12 00:07:19 CDT 2007

On Jun 11, 2007, at 2:14 PM, artemisia-request at lists.gallowglass.org
wrote:
> 30 minutes from the site, in Blackfoot, there's a Super Walmart.
> Might be
> easier and much cheaper to shop there.

Having driven the route from my house in Blackfoot to the site
multiple times,
it's 15 minutes and that's going speed limit.  It's only 10 miles
from my house
to the turn off in Firth, and then just a few more miles after that.
If you drive
past the big substation on the right (south side of 800), you've gone
too far.

My cell phone works fine on the site (my carrier is T-Mobile).

Warning:  the stretch of US 91 between Firth and Blackfoot is flat,
straight and boring - and this makes it the most fatal stretch of road
in Bingham County, according to a county deputy I had a long talk
with last month.  The county cops preferentially patrol and ticket this
stretch of road aggressively and use forward-looking radar.  They
are serious enough about enforcing the speed limit that they will
ticket other cops and other deputies who are off duty (my deputy
friend got ticketed himself, on the night of his wedding, and not even
he could get out of the ticket!).  So, while you can bend the speed
on the back roads, it's not a good idea to speed on US 91.  It's not
a bad idea to leave your headlights on while driving the straight
stretch since many of the accidents on 91 are passing accidents.

Yes, the stop-and-rob in Firth is very small.  There is a much larger
grocery store in Shelley on 91 which is only about a mile further (take
Sugar Factory Rd.)  Or you can drive to Blackfoot with its four food
stores: Ripley's (Sean likes it, I don't), Kesler's (they have a
resident
butcher and the best meat in town), Albertson's and WallyWorld.
Kesler's carries Reed's milk and a selection of good specialty sodas.
They also serve ice cream cones with Reed's and Farr's ice cream.
Every grocery store in Blackfoot is off of or visible from Bridge St.,
which makes directions easy: take 91 to Blackfoot and turn right
on Bridge St.  The best eatery in Blackfoot is the burger joint called
Roup's, take 91 and turn left at the light at Alice (first light in town
on 91).  The breakfast at Stan's in Blackfoot is ok, but the breakfast
at Smitty's in Idaho Falls is awesome!  Get the german pancakes.

In Blackfoot, Albertson's and Wally's Evil Empire carry dry ice. The
service to get dry ice at Walmart is often lousy (Sean waited 15
minutes last week and asked multiple times before giving up and
going across the street to the Albertson's).  The short cut to Wally
land and Albertsons is as follows: take 91 to Blackfoot.  Take the
right turn immediately in front of the Chevron Station on the right
just as you are coming into town.  Stay on that road and follow it
as it takes a long leisurely curl leftwards past the airport and the
Park.  Walmart is on the right after the Park.  Albertson's is a hop
further, straight through the one traffic light and on the right.

The cheapest gas in the area is the Phillips 66 in Shelley, today
priced at 3.17.