[Artemisia] Youth Combat terms (PC?)

Sondra Gibson sgibson at edulog.com
Wed Jun 20 10:45:55 CDT 2007

Ya know, this is just plain silly.  Have any of you tried doing a google
search on the word Boffer?  You know what you get?  Stuff about padded
swords.  And not just from SCA sites.  I worked my way thru 5 pages of the
many search results, and found only one 'off color' use of the term in some
guys' really filthy blog.  There are a heck of a lot of words that can be
used different contexts. (including sword and weapon!) If we were to ban all
of them, we'd not be talking much.  That said if 'society' has forbidden
it's use, in the youth combat program, I suspose we must comply.

Personally, my problem with having to be "PC" in everything you do is that
way too many people are ready to take offense where none is intended.
(heck, I've even been told that saying that someone is "diabetic" is wrong -
that they are a "person with diabetis"!  Rubbish.)

End rant.  ;-)
Gefjon