[Artemisia] Historical Terms

Bruce Padget bapadget at pop.mail.yahoo.com
Wed Jun 27 09:55:19 CDT 2007

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 7:10, rcfaevans at comcast.net wrote:

> A perspective from a transplant from the east....
>
> There are a number of terms that differ significantly from Kingdom to
> Kingdom.  I found that I had to re-learn a bunch of things when I moved
> from Atlantia to Artemesia.  Some examples:
>
> Eric (is this spelled correctly?)  This term is never used in the
> East.  The terms are either List or List-Field

As I understand it, back when rocks were soft and dirt was an
interesting idea, lists in the West were marked by colored caution tape,
and they were given nicknames based on the tape color - yellow peril,
white Russian, black death, and Eric the red.  The last name stuck long
after the tape was gone.

One of my current little crusades is to move Caid away from the term
"eric," chiefly by example.  In terms of cultural inertia, Artemisia
corners like a Ferrari, Caid roughly like a supertanker.

So why bother?  I was at an event in Cote du Ciel yerz ago, and a lady
was teaching a dance I will not name.  She was showing "sharking"
(called "poaching" in some places), and she said, "'Sharking' is the
period term for stealing partners.  Right Niccolo?"

I cringed bunches.  But, I had used that term and taught that dance in
the SCA. Therefore, she was entitled to believe that both the dance and
the term were period.  Or, as Silverwing's Laws put it:

#80:  "Advice to peers:  Be careful; you may be the only history book
someone else reads."

Regards,
Niccolo
bapadget at yahoo.com

PS Get acquainted with Silverwing's Laws, at
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/2888/laws.html.  # 73 is also
applicable to this discussion:  "Whatever you find when you first
encounter the SCA is something you perceive as having always existed,
even if it was invented a couple of days before."