[Artemisia] Historical Terms...was...political correctness

BECKY LEISHMAN leishman10 at msn.com
Wed Jun 27 11:26:57 CDT 2007

RE:
the fact that we need to change the terminology has been
handed down to us from the society--along with the new title of
Kingdom Youth Combat Marshal,

Notice I said that I fully support making the terminology more 'period'.
Just pointing out that the kids could end up confused in the process...

For example, if you tell them to be sure to bring their 'wasters' to
x event.... they might end up bringing waste recepticles, I.e garbage cans
and not their combat equipment.

Or for those that are 'new' to the society, and are told to bring boffer
equipment to an event, might not bring their waster equipment because
they don't know what a boffer is.

Using somewhat 'universal' terminology can be a very good thing.
especially if it's 'period' terminology.  I love the fact that you are
researching and finding 'words' that 'could' be used.
Also teaching the what the same thing is called in different places is
also a good thing as well. Kind of like learning multiple languages. We
would just need to make sure that happens if the 'terminology' is
'officially' changed.

Youth combat is quite the 'universal term, and fairly clear in 'what it is'.
It's also clear in it's terminology as to 'who' owns the responsibility
for ensuring safety, following rules, equipment standards, etc.
(the marshalette, not the youth ministry).  This I support, 100% as
long as the folks in charge remember these are kids, not adult fighters.
The current rules, definitely support that as well. (Thanks to Azir)

I do understand that you all are 'sharing' ideas for possible 'future changes
in terminology'. As you will often see from my posts, I try to ensure that
folks are also taking 'other issues' into consideration at the same time they
are having this type of discussions so that the young people don't get 'lost'
in the process.

Enjoy your day
Bethoc