[Artemisia] RE: Youth Volunteering at Uprising

Dawn Tavares dtavares1 at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 2 09:55:14 CST 2007

Dame Thea suggested:

>..., rather than youth (under 18 years) being allowed to sign up for their
>own volunteer hours through the volunteer coordinator (which, as a
>Seneschal, makes my head hurt), perhaps it could be a combined effort
>between volunteer coordinator and youth ministry.  If I recall correctly,
>there are several areas in the youth ministry programs that involve service
>to others.

Indeed there are. The Artemisian Page School has an entire unit on service
(pages 3-6 in the manual.) Many of the tasks needed to keep Uprising running
smoothly qualify for completion of the service component for both Cupbearers
and Pages.

It would be so cool to see lots of service charms and jewels awarded at
Children's Court.

Lady Bethoc and Lady Verdiana poured a great deal of thought, heart, and
effort into developing the Page School when Artemisia first instituted a
Ministry of Youth. Both the Kingdom Youth Minister (Lady Sorcha inghean
Lorccan ) and the MOY who wrangles The Wrack (Lady Bronwyn y Cardigan) can
attest to the effectiveness of The Page School as a structured, fun way to
socialize kids in the SCA. For a copy of the handbook for Pages and
Cupbearers, go here:

http://www.youth.artemisia.sca.org/Documents.html

>Or there could be a contest for youth volunteers with limited areas and
>times for volunteering that could be closely supervised and age
>appropriate.

Loch Salann has used this to great effect when it's time for site clean-up.
Small children are great at picking up litter--especially if there's a prize
for the most garbage collected.  ;)

Aurora de Portugal
BLS