[Artemisia] RE: Youth Volunteering at Uprising

BECKY LEISHMAN leishman10 at msn.com
Fri Mar 2 10:10:59 CST 2007

Much snipage:
>Or there could be a contest for youth volunteers with limited areas and
>times for volunteering that could be closely supervised and age
>appropriate.

Loch Salann has used this to great effect when it's time for site clean-up.
Small children are great at picking up litter--especially if there's a prize
for the most garbage collected.  ;)

My thoughts:

For the record, most kids don't need to be 'coerced' into helping.  With most, all
you need to do is ask them to do a task (that is age appropriate and of course safe
for them to do) and it is done. Many, particularly the teens, see things that needs
to be done and do it without even being asked. Many will approach you and ask if
there is something they can do to help.

The pages in the youth manuals with corresponding 'token' as well as the little contests
we run have been and will continue to be our way of saying 'thank you' to the youth for their
continued efforts in helping the events run smoother.  We do the same with 'behaviour'
points (Chivalry contests).  While they both give added incentive, the promise of reward
is not the only thing that keeps kids motivated to help.  It's the acknowledgement and
thanks they receive from the adults around them that does it.

And as Aurora said, it also helps to integrate them into the organization as a whole, and
helps them feel like they are contributing.

Thank you for your time.

Bethoc
P.S.  The Pages Primer and College of Courtly graces manuals (for youth) was actually Verdianna's baby, I just helped edit and implement it.