[Artemisia] memorials

Terri Elliott terrilelliott at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 26 09:27:51 CDT 2007

morgan wolf <morganblaidddu at yahoo.com> wrote:    As I sat here reading of the loss of another friend, and the things done in other kingdoms to honor their fallen, I began to think "that's nice, but is it really us?" I mean, the riderless horse is cool and all, but does it really fit *our* fallen?

I propose that we, as a Kingdom, are a bit different. Certainly our warriors are just as fierce, our artisans are just as skilled, our Crowns just as marvelous as any of the Knowne World, but we have that one thing that makes us Artemisia- our sense of playfulness. We named our Kingdom after sagebrush, for pete's sake! Our's is a kingdom much given to sitting around a campfire with friends, enjoying a tankard of whatever we like to drink, telling stories, singing songs, druming and dancing, and I think that this is what makes us so special.

I propose further that we honor that difference as we honor our fallen friends. If the event staff at Uprising, the biggest/most attended event in our Kingdom, will allow, I invite those who have lost a loved one to join me at my fire Saturday night, to place an empty wooden tankard bearing the fallen's name into the fire in memoriam. If the event staff/Crown prefer to use a different fire, I fully support their decision and will join the memorial there, if this humble proposal is accepted. I further propose that we consider doing this each year.

Morgan

  I think this is a beautiful way to remember those who have passed. telling the stories of their lives and invoking the power of fire to send this energy to the stars is a very powerful experience. I have not been fortunate enough to meet those in the SCA that have passed and are spoken of so highly by those who have known them. However, I would be honored to participate in such a memorial for the fallen.
  Asa