[Artemisia] Honoring lost loved ones

morgan wolf morganblaidddu at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 27 11:03:49 CDT 2007

Perhaps my vision of it did not come through in the email-

Artemisians of all ages gathered around a fire, a Herald reads off the name of one of the fallen as a family member steps forward to place the empty tankard with his/her name written on it into the fire, a few moments are taken as it catches and burns to, well, eulogize our friend,  we raise our tankards, be they filled with beer, water, or nothing at all, to our friend, then the herald reads off the name of the next, and so on.  Not a drunken scene, but a uniquely Artemisian memorial.  Perhaps is is my mundane upbringing coming through, but I much prefer the wake to the funeral, a celabration of the life now ended rather than a mourning of the death.  This ceremony could easily be as formal as any Coronation, but remember that we even joke at our Coronations, so...

Morgan