[Artemisia] Richard the Lionheart

Andrea Waddell aravis227 at hotmail.com
Mon May 7 12:10:12 CDT 2007

Quoting from Wikipedia:
"Richard's legacy comprised several parts. First, he captured Cyprus, which
proved immensely valuable in keeping the Frankish kingdoms in the Holy Land
viable for another century. Second, his absence from the English political
landscape meant that the highly efficient government created by his father
was allowed to entrench itself, though King John would later abuse it to the
breaking point. The last part of Richard's legacy was romantic and literary.
No matter the facts of his reign, he left an indelible imprint on the
imagination extending to the present, in large part because of his military
exploits. This is reflected in Steven Runciman's final verdict of Richard I:
"he was a bad son, a bad husband and a bad king, but a gallant and splendid
soldier.""

I tend to agree with this assessment.  I think it was the glory and romance
of his willingness to fight for his country and God.  He wasn't IN the
country enough for the people to despise him, they only knew that he was
fighting the evil of the Muslim World.  He left no heir and was succeeded by
a King who was hated by all.  And a bad king always makes the kings around
him look better.  I would also say that the Robin Hood story has to do with
it.  I don't know the full history of the story, but every version of it
that I have heard in my life went along the lines of "Good King Richard was
away in the Crusades, fighting the good fight, and Evil King John was
over-taxing the people and making their lives miserable."  And on with the
story of Robin Hood after that.  The story of Robin Hood always ends with
Good King Richard coming back, stomping on Evil King John, and putting all
to rights.  Myth is often more powerful than truth.  And one action can
create an entire history of memories.  Rulers throughout history have proven
this.  Many of them are remembered for one action, some good, some bad.
Lincoln is remembered for "freeing the slaves", which isn't exactly what he
did, but that's how people remember him.  Caligula is remembered for excess
and cruelness, but before he got sick and went crazy he was a beloved and
fair ruler.  And there are many others that I can't think of off the top of
my head, but they are remembered for one moment, one action.  They did many,
many other things, both good and bad, but their legacies are made up by one
defining moment.

-Maysun...rambling again :D